Thread: Installing windshields on a Murci or any other car not original

Installing windshields on a Murci or any other car not original

Just wondering if theres any link or photos of putting in a windshield like a Murci where you are replacing the glass. I basically know its a sunk in area and glass slips in with a sealer. I just want to see how these newer cars are done using the rubber moulding around. In the old days there were clips holding done the aluminum moulding are the windshields. Now with the rubber, I just havent seen anything. Most pics didnt show detail so maybe someone here can link me up.

Also, I have a 2001 mustang that needs the roof repainted because it was touched up at the dealer I got it at or the dealer that my dealer got it from........first one closed down and curios if I get it repainted the removal of this rubber/plastic around the front and rear glass .........is it possible or what? Maybe the painter will have to wedge a wire or something under the rubber so I don't get a mask line at the rubber and the paint would actually go under the rubber. Any ideas/help helpful!

Re: Installing windshields on a Murci or any other car not original

I first wanted to drop my glass in place myself but decided to have it professionally installed. It was $110 but it fits like a glove, no leaks, no cracks.

Well worth it for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

If you don, t want to remove the glass , the other way to do it is; lift the rubber mldg and insert a thin rope . they sell it at home depot , then you can mask tape the mldg real easy, and this way you make sure the paint is going to go under the mldg, and that is going to give you a professional job.

Quote Originally Posted by carspancho
    If you don, t want to remove the glass , the other way to do it is; lift the rubber mldg and insert a thin rope . they sell it at home depot , then you can mask tape the mldg real easy, and this way you make sure the paint is going to go under the mldg, and that is going to give you a professional job.
    I have used this method in the past and it works great. It's a little time consuming but much easyer than removing the glass, dealing with interior overspray and taking the chance of scratching up your paint job reinstalling the glass.

Kinda figured those ideas of having to lift up the moulding and wedge it to get the paint to sneak in would be the best option, just need to make sure that the painter will try to aim a little bit into the wedge.

Now back to the first question, I should have rephrased it a bit better. I am interested in knowing how the frame for the windshield would be fabricated to include the rubber moulding as I havent seen any close examples. Maybe someone doing a lambo or ferrari using a non fiero windshield could post a link to a build or post a pic or 2 and also does the plastic/rubber molding just get inserted into the sealant or what?

I'm no expert at this by any means, and maybe this won't answer the question, so bear with me...

The windshield's I've seen have rubber spacers that are placed around the steel frame, just to hold the glass off the steel a bit, sometimes they've got a ledge built in to hold the glass up vertically from the hood. Windshield adhesive is put in a bead over and around the spacers, and the windshield just lays in place while the glue dries.
    I've seen the moldings you're talking about in a couple varieties - some are made to the specific vehicle, molded in shape, and just shoved in the gap between glass and frame, held in place by the windshield adhesive. other kinds just come in a roll. You cut it to length, and shove it in the gap, bending it around the corners of the glass. I bought some of it for a 95 S10 I had; cost $10 for enough to do the job twice.
    Anyway, if you're careful, it can be removed from the glass easily, then just glued back down after paint. It usually wants to tear in half, but if you can replace it for $10, it may be worth removing. You can buy the roll molding from most glass shops, and I expect it could be used even on a car that had the factory molding cast as a single piece rather than rolled.

Again, I'm no expert, so you should verify this with your glass shop before taking my word on it!