Thread: can wipers be moved closer together?

can wipers be moved closer together?

I have build the 288 GTO front and need to move the drivers wiper toward the passenger side. That would allow me to put both triangular notches in the narrow front hood. Currently I have the narrow hood and the round pop-ups looking pretty good.
    Thanx

Jack Baker

Re: can wipers be moved closer together?

Hello Jack,

This can be done but needs a lot of thought before you start moving things.Also, if the wiper motor is located in this area and needs moving then it is a bigger job than expected but assuming it doesn't need moving;

Firstly you need to establish if the drivers side linkage that sits on the body of the car [at the scuttle panel just below the windshield] can be relocated i.e is there enough meat to redrill and reposition the bearing housing.

Secondly, you will need to modify the the trammel bar that runs between the two fixed wiper points to shorten it so that the wipers move in tandem.

Thirdly you need to ensure that the drivers wiper will clear the screen sufficiently for the driver to see. This will be difficult with fixed points as the wipers are now closer together and will impede each other when they move to rest when wiping in one direction and also they will not travel to the same point on the drivers side to wipe the windsheild as they will be shorter by the same distance as you have moved them.i.e if you have moved them 1 inch then they will leave 1 inch more screen 'unwiped' when at full stretch.

Is that clear Jack???

Just to add Jack,

The drivers side wiper arm can be reseated on the splined shaft [that is attached to the body] slightly out of sync with the passenger side wiper arm. This way they will not impede each other when they come to rest across the screeen. It will also mean that the drivers wiper goes slightly over the finish point when it shoukld be perpendicular but this is cosmetic and should help.

John.

Thanx John:
    I will be working on her this weekend. I think I understand but wont know for sure until I dig into it.

Thanx again

Jack