Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convert top header? Easy solution?

Convert top header? Easy solution?

What have you guys done for the ugly space in the windshield header? I was going to trace a pattern out of cardboard, cut out a template of three dimensions, transfer to 16 GA steel, plasma cut, and weld together. I would to it this way to attach some kind of latch for a top. What have others done here? Is there an easier way? Eric

Re: Convert top header? Easy solution?

Unless you need structural integrity to attach the top to this piece, I'd fill it with expanding foam, shape it, and fiberglass over it.
    Not real strong, but pretty.

John Watson sold me a header and the front piece of the top from either a pontiac sunfire or sunbird I think. Which ever one it was used the same windshield as the fiero.

I did the same as you are thinking of doing. I took 1/4" plate and shaped it to the header and welded it in between the plates. It really stiffened the top of the windshield header up. I also used the plate to bolt the top header too by drilling the holes through the plate and then tapping them 1/4". The top header sits on the windshield very well and having it bolted really makes it solid.

I would do the work you are thinking about as it is worth the effort.
    Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Thanks Don, now I know I am on the right track. Attaching some kind of top to this is going to have to be sturdy one would think. Thanks for all the input. Eric

Eric;

I have the fiberglass mold for the header piece as well if you need a header made from glass. It is not a 100% great header but both Dave and I have used it as a starting point to get a mounting surface for our targa tops.

You will, unfortunately have to wait a bit though as it got horribly cold up here and I was not able to get the exhaust fan into the garage to allow me to glass in the winter.

Cheers
    Don

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I can take pics of the header on my car once I am finished my fireplace mantel build. I have the car covered up right now while I am routering and sawing oak so I have less cleanup when done.

I should have the build done in the next week so I can take pics for you then if you like.

I think I might have some pics of the header plate I put in as well.......

Nope. Just looked and I can't find the pics I am sure I took when I welded the plate in. I'll get some pics later in the week.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

The header Don made is the best way to go. Please look at FunnyWheels going topless in the build section for details. I think it is about 1/3 of the way through the thread.

Thanks for your help Don. It would not have a top without your assistance.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Aaaaahhh yes, Funnywheels topless page #21. Reposted pic here. Dave, you are the KING for taking all the pics and notes you did on the different stages of your build.

Thanks Don, I will take you up on that. I hope you have a heated garage/shop as I tried to do some fiberglassing in a 50 degree shop and no matter how much MEK I dropped in there it wouldn't harden. Out came the heater and the shop is up to 70 deg again. My 355 is partially painted, and I have left the w/sh surround unpainted becuase I didn't know how I would chop it up/modify it to make this work with a top. Let me know when you have time to do this and I will send you some cash to do this for me. Eric

Eric:

I attached it several times before I found the correct position. I found that a total of two inches from the top of the glass suround to the place where the header dips where the top attaches is closest to the real 355.

Let me know if I can help.

Regards,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.