Thread: Using a C5 Corvette fore a Lambo Doner?

Using a C5 Corvette fore a Lambo Doner?

I was talking to a builder and he got me thinking... He's going to attempt to take a C5 Vette, and make it into a Murcielago. he figures he can make it a front engine car. He thinks there's enough trunk space in the Murcie for an LS motor and you can even work on it, Chang oil, plugs ect... I really don't know personally how well that will work? If you want to take the engine out that could be a nightmare! But what I'm thinking, you all know the Factory Five GTM is a base C5 Vette right? So, what if some one took a C5 Vette and made it into a rear engine car like the GTM and put the Lambo body over top? That was the builders other plan also BTW If the front engine doesn't work he will make it into a rear engine car. I just wonder would it be cheaper to do an older C5 Vette rather then do a tube chassis car? Here in Canada a used 99 Vette is still $15K. Then you need the body kit, wheels, tires, make it into a rear engine car, the G 50 tranny... Probably be about the same cost or even more and of course you need to measure to see how close the length and width of the Vette and Murcielago would be. I believe this builder told me there both about the same dimensions.

Any thoughts?

Re: Using a C5 Corvette fore a Lambo Doner?

I'm guessing we are talking about the same builder. I looked at the build a couple of weeks ago and he has worked out the wheelbase difference without shortening the torque tube. Personally I don't like it. You have to pull most of the dash apart to even do a tune-up. If I am replicating a mid-engine car, then I want a mid-engine car. It reminds me of the days when people built all kinds of front engine kits like MGTD on VW and you walk around and up the hood and there's no engine. The corvette is a great car, not comparing it to a vw. But I am comparing that situation to a front engine Murci. Not for me. You have many cost effective transaxles with the various Audis. If you are willing to live with 270+hp then just bolt in a 300M 3.5L with a chip in it in the mid-engine locations for less than a few grand.