Thread: A few questions reguarding titanium....

A few questions reguarding titanium....

Here are the questions:

1. I know it has a very high melting point which is why alot of jelwery stre wont even try to change the size of a ring made of the stuff, so what is the melting point???

2. What has a higher melting point than titanium?? What would you use to melt the stuff in??

3. Would a rather common mold made out of fiberglass resin or like material be able to stand having titanium pored into it?

I am willing to guess that this stuff is only really 'changable' in an industrial setting but just had to ask. Have a wild idea but thought I would try to experts here first.

michael
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Re: A few questions reguarding titanium....

I don't know the melting point as I have never thought of casting it.

NO FIBERGLASS mold, it must be sand or ceramic.

I have welded Titanium a few times. It must be purged with argon all around including inside the tube or "back purged" any exposure to air while it is molten will cause it to be brittle and fail. It will tig weld fairly easily about like monel or stainless but you must, must pay close attention to your purging methods and not quenching the weld area too quickly.

Re: A few questions reguarding titanium....

Quote Originally Posted by F40 LM

Here are the questions: ...
    1) The melting point of Titanium is usually given as 3034 F (1668 C) ... about 400 F (220 C) higher than that of steel.

2) Small quantities of metal are usually melted in inert refractory (i.e. ceramic) crucibles. Large quantities of metal are melted in refractory-lined steel furnaces, in which case there is always a time limit on how long the molten metal can safely remain in the furnace.

3) Absolutely not! A common sand mold will probably work, as long as the melting point (or glass transition point) of the sand is higher than the temperature of the molten metal. In an industrial setting, die casting can be used ... but the dies must be cooled with water or some other suitable coolant.

Be extremely careful handling Titanium powder or shavings, or even bulk Titanium at high temperatures. Hot chips from drilling or machining Titanium can ignite spontaneously in air, producing intense heat, and Titanium fires are extremely difficult to extinguish. From Wikipedia:

"As a powder or in the form of metal shavings, titanium metal poses a significant fire hazard and, when heated in air, an explosion hazard. Water and carbon dioxide-based methods to extinguish fires are ineffective on burning titanium; Class D dry powder fire fighting agents must be used instead.

"Even bulk titanium metal is susceptible to fire, when it is heated to its melting point. A number of titanium fires occur during breaking down devices containing titanium parts with cutting torches."

Bottom line: Titanium is not a suitable metal for the home workshop.