Thread: Experience and advice wanted - auto gearbox Karmann Ghia options

Experience and advice wanted - auto gearbox Karmann Ghia options

Hello folks,

I am 36 yr old man living on the north/south border in Ireland. Whereas I've never owned a kit car before I've been involved in the building of many as I'm an engineer by trade and have had an interest in motor vehicles from a very early age. Racing motor bikes since my very early teens. I've also had a long standing interest in aircooled vw's and now make my living importing airbags from around the world and selling them in Ireland. I also import engines and gearboxes for various makes.

I got ill 6 yrs ago and lost the use of my left arm and leg so can only now use automatics of which I have accumulated several over the years. I shipped home Karmann Ghia and Beetle convertibles in the mid 90's and am at the moment restoring with the help of several people a 72 Ghia coupe. The big problem now looming is that I cannot find an automatic or semi-automatic gearbox to suit the car. I want an ECU free gearbox with linkage gearchange and now feel the only options I have open to me are an early Porsche or VW aircooled gearbox. Having said that I do have in stock an 03/04 C220 Mercedes Gearbox which has a gear linkage change which I'm prepared to match to a diff from an 08 R32 Golf also in stock. But my biggest problem is if I sit the gearbox backwards to allow the use of the Porsche engine I have acquired for use in the car, I need to be able to turn the diff around to allow me to have several forward gears and one reverse. Can anyone advise me can this be done, or can anyone recommend another gearbox I can use. I have Audi A4 gearboxes (similar to Porsche Boxster gearboxes) but they are ECU changed - if anyone knows of a way to adapt these? One other options is to use the engine and drivetrain of a Honda Goldwing or large BMW motorbike which automatically come with reverse gear in them but I don't really want to use this option if I can find another solution. Any help at all will be gratefully appreciated. As I am deeply involved in the motor trade in Ireland and can source and supply used car parts for nearly every make and model help can be returned ten-fold.

email airbags@ireland.com mobile +353 (0)86 6023272

Regards

Keith McGahon

Re: Experience and advice wanted - auto gearbox Karmann Ghia options

Keith I don't see any mention of performance so I assume stock VW or slightly better is what you are looking for. Here in the US, other places I am sure, the type 1 beetle and karmann ghia was available with an auto-stick. It was a clutchless manual shift with a torque converter. Only had low and high and you could start in either gear without ever changing gears. Your other option was the fully automatic type 3 transaxle from a type 3 notchback, squareback, or fastback. And then the fully automatic type II and 4 from a bus. Let me know if I can help. I don't know if the guy still has it but I had someone trying to get rid of a automatic 1969 fastback in eastcoast USA. The auto-stick and type 3 would be a bolt in swap.

Hi yes mate that would be great if you could check that out for me. I shipped VWs home from US in the 90s so I'd have no problem shipping from yourself. I'd be very greatful if you could look into it for me. Speed is not an issue for me on this project - I've a Porsche 968 turbo automatic convertible in my 'collection' amongst others with plenty of poke!

Cheers

Keith

Hi yes mate that would be great if you could check that out for me. I shipped VWs home from US in the 90s so I'd have no problem shipping from yourself. I'd be very greatful if you could look into it for me. Speed is not an issue for me on this project - I've a Porsche 968 turbo automatic convertible in my 'collection' amongst others with plenty of poke!

Cheers

Keith

I sent you a PM with my e-mail address, I will check for you next week.