Thread: Just starting out!

Just starting out!

I have been a member for about 4-5 months now and till now I have only read the discussions. I have seen the great work that Murcie Me and countless others have done. I am just starting out my build and plan to document it the best I can like most of you have done. I am no way a mechanical genius or guru. I will probably ask questions to most of you may seem novice but I have the determination to learn. What I can't do I will get help to do. I plan to ask a lot of questions and get the expertise I need from those of you who have already done this. I am one who will NOT give up no matter the cost or time. I will probably make some costly mistakes hopefully not to many. So with that being said. I just bought my Donor car 85 fiero with 3800 series ll supercharged with Getrag tranny. I dropped the motor to get everything in pristine condition and add some new parts. While doing so what I thought was a good frame turned out to have some rust holes in the motor area. So two questions one how do I tell what year the tyranny is from and second should I get a better donor frame or should I not worry about the rust and replace it with new metal.

Sincerely Burner

Re: Just starting out!

Quote Originally Posted by Burner
    I just bought my Donor car 85 fiero with 3800 series ll supercharged with Getrag tranny.
    with this one, u might want to get along with Murcenary who have the same hearted machine u just bought.
    He is going to start his built real soon...

wish u luck and dont forget to post the progress picts like what MM did.
    Must be intresting.

Wish u all the best with luck.

regards.

Thanx sc80! I will post the pics. I hope that MM and Murcenary will share some of their wisdom when I get stuck!

Burner,

How much rust is there? Any Pic's?

You may want to have JVD take car of this for you. That is his expertise.

MURCenary

Burner,
    How much rust are we talking about? If it not to bad then just go ahead and cut it out and replace it. Keep in mind that the fiero sheetmetal can be somewhat difficult to weld to. What are you going to build, I assume a Mercy? With a Lambo you will want to add extra time in your schedule for the frustrating factor. This is where you try to get something installed and no matter what you do it just doesnt work out. We all have been through this on our builds so this is normal, yes even for the experts. If you ask a lot of questions and make sure you understand what you are doing first then you should not make that many costly mistakes. Make sure to think through every step of your build before you start it, this is VERY important. Decide upfront the major things like how accurate do you want it to be, aftermarket or OEM parts etc. Although changing your mind throughout the process is a given, doing so after you already have put in the time and effort to install something is not fun.

Make sure you start a build thread and ask as many questions as you can. When I first came to this site many years ago, I have never built a kit car before in my life and now I am on my second build thanks to the help of everyone on this site! Last piece of advice for today is to not be afraid to try something new. Sometimes it will not work out but sometimes it does and we all learn from it

good luck
    glenn

'''YOU CAN DO IT''' GO FOR IT