Thread: Brand-new drivetrain idea!

Brand-new drivetrain idea!

Guys – I had a new idea for packaging the THM 325-425 drivetrain.

Okay – we agree that getting the engine/trans as low as possible is good for handling. Also, getting the engine as far forward is good for the same reasons. But, the front of the engine can’t protrude into the cabin.

Mid-Engineering’s old method of just using the standard Eldo/Toro drivetrain, but in the rear, results in a big iron engine entirely above the rear axle, and a heavy transmission hanging out behind it.

Here’s the layout idea: Mount the entire normal, stock engine/trans/final-drive assembly package crosswise; the front of the engine facing the passenger side. The trans and final drive will then be in “front” of the package (relative to the front of the car), and relatively low. While this will be right behind the seats, the firewall could be angled back to allow the seats to recline a bit.

Now – the final drive will now have axle positions facing forward and backward, along the centerline of the car. Ignore the forward-facing axle (left-side axle in an Eldorado). Cap the final drive housing on that side. Lock up the differential; insert a spool.

Now – take the rearward-facing final-drive output shaft (which is linked rigidly to the ring gear), and run a driveshaft back under the oil pan. Just behind that short driveshaft, mount a Winters Extremeliner QC axle, with a normal 4-link suspension.

This rear axle has a couple of advantages that make this configuration work. First, the input shaft is 3-1/2” below the axle centerline – this allows the engine package to be that much lower. Also, the Extremeliner has an available 2.00:1 R&P option, and can be underdriven with their standard QC gears to an effective 1.20:1 ratio. This means that although this configuration has two R&P gear sets in series, the final drive ratio can be as reasonable as 3.28:1 for the 2.73:1 Eldo R&P, or 2.68 for the rare 2.23:1 set. Yes, some horsepower will be lost in the additional gearset.

Cool?

A further development would be to use the potential front driveshaft, and make the car AWD! Use a different front and rear axle ratio to adjust the torque split, like Olds did in that prototype twenty years ago.

Forrest

Re: Brand-new drivetrain idea!

Cool - thanks for the pic! Yes, that's what I'm talking about, except that the Eldo/Toro tranny has the half-shafts pretty much centered under the engine, so the engine doesn't push so far to the passenger side as in the drawing.

Forrest

Additional CAD work -

Forrest
    Attached Images Attached Images       

This is the assembly I've developed to replace the final drive assembly on an Eldo/Toro transaxle with a normal driveshaft yoke. All standard parts are from Mark Williams, the yoke will start as one of theirs they will spline for me. I'll make the mounting plate.

Forrest

This is the same setup I have designed to put a v8 into an mr2 i have. However I am using the lexus 1uzfe v8 mounted to an mr2 e153 fwd transaxle. This assembly is made to go east west, however I am turning it north south so you have an axle going to the rear of the car to a rear end and one going to the front of the car to a rear end. As you have mentioned the problem is, is finding a 1:1 rearend. I have done some research and have found that tractors that use the tri mowers. The mowers have a gearbox on them that you can get into a 1:1. They have 1 input and 2 output shafts. The problem with this is, I dunno how much horsepower and torque they can handle. The second problem is that it doesnt have a differential so it would be a solid axle.

If there is a 1:1 rear end anywhere then this opens up all kinds of drivetrain ideas. I mean you can pretty much use any v8 that would mount to any fwd transaxle.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by justinswidebody
    As you have mentioned the problem is, is finding a 1:1 rearend. If there is a 1:1 rear end anywhere then this opens up all kinds of drivetrain ideas. I mean you can pretty much use any v8 that would mount to any fwd transaxle.

Justin
    Not a problem - Winters Extremeliner quick-change rear will go down to a 1.20:1 ratio (attached) - it's the choice I've got the green box around. For me, I'll use their standard QC rear; I only need about a 2.0 - 2.2 to get the speed I want at ~5800 rpm.

Forrest

What about mounting a traditional fwd transverse setup longitudinally? The modified halfshafts could then be run to differentials for an all wheel drive set up.

its been done but go all out and mount two identical engines and auto trannies. One engine in the rear and one engine in the front. Poof instant four wheel drive !!!
    http://www.moslerauto.com/mosautoweb...n_announce.htm