Thread: making a mold???????

making a mold???????

i am making a engine cover for the f40. if succesful i can also make others....

I am almost done it, question is .... what are the steps and products used to make the mold

Re: making a mold???????

Viciouscrx;

I would do a quick search on this forum for molding as there is a link in one of the threads to a site that shows, very well, how to make molds from parts.

High level, you look at the part you are going to mold and figure out how you would pull the part out after it is all fiberglassed. Any areas that would not allow straight pulling out of the mold piece will cause you grief. Essentially, take a look at the part and figure out how many mold pieces you will need to allow the molds to be taken off the part so that the part can be removed from whatever mold pieces are left. This is actually not that trivial the first couple times. Look for indents in the part, corners that have acute angles on each resulting face etc.

As for parts, go to any fiberglass and/or plastics shop and tell them you want to mold a couple parts and they should give you all the products needed. some items would be:

• Bees wax to start the prep of the part
    • Mold release, paintable or spray. I use PVA
    • Tooling gel (pretty much like Fiberglass gelcoat but a bit more robust for multiple part releases
    • Fiberglass cloth/mat to build up the mold to at least 1/4" thick or more so you can remove possiblity of warping
    • Fiberglass resin and hardener
    • Cheap paint brushes for applying the resin
    • Barriers to set up bolting flanges for the mold pieces. I use 1/4" plastic corregated sheets and cut 1-2" strips and then tape them to the parts for barriers

That would be a good starter list. Probably more but I have made so many molds now that I don't pay much attention to what I am actually using, I just go grab what I need from the pile of stuff.... You can have a look at my build thread and near the end of the thread I have shown some pics of how I built the molds for the defroster vents and heater box in my build that might also give you some more ideas on how the mold sections need to work.

Thread page here:
    http://www.madmechanics.com/build-di...303539c6b39b00

Read along for a few pages and you should get the gist of what is needed to be done.

Good luck and post some pics of the engine cover as well for everyone to have a look at. Give me a shout or email if you need any more help. I'll help where I can.

Cheers
    Don

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

nice write up Don
    here are some products i use, i am working to night in the shop its 38 degrees ,i just fired up my heaters ,( i may have to charge my customer for the heat ) HAHA

purple PVA FOR MOLDS with no gelcoat in them
    wax uesd to keep your part an mold from sticking to each other
    blue/green PVA used as a back up after waxing so the part does not stick to the mold

In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

well , what can i say , Don said it all

You should practice on something else first if you have never build a mld before (not that I have). This way if it does not go exactly like you planned you wont ruin your engine cover.

Quote Originally Posted by ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER
    nice write up Don
    here are some products i use, i am working to night in the shop its 38 degrees ,i just fired up my heaters ,( i may have to charge my customer for the heat ) HAHA

blue/green PVA used as a back up after waxing so the part does not stick to the mold

IKR what is the advantage of the purple PVA versus the green one? What is the part number? I may try some. I have some interior molds with no gel coat and they can be a bugger to get demolded sometimes. And likely I lay up some interior parts like seat shells with no gel coat on the part.

Thanks

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bartman
    Quote Originally Posted by ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER
    nice write up Don

IKR what is the advantage of the purple PVA versus the green one? What is the part number? I may try some. I have some interior molds with no gel coat and they can be a bugger to get demolded sometimes. And likely I lay up some interior parts like seat shells with no gel coat on the part.

Thanks
    the purple liquid is thicker an it take a little longer to dry ,the film coat is thicker ,it,s great for molds with no gelcoat ,i have been looking for something like this , a guy at the boat shop introduced me to it , its made by rexco

first coat

close up

white gelcoat after 3 coats of PVA release agent
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!