Thread: raising headlight pods manually?

raising headlight pods manually?

My F40 has been stored 5 months since last run, and the headlights no longer go up electrically. Don't know if it is an electrical problem or frozen light assemblies. Is there any procedure to raise the lights manually? My Haynes manual doesn't mention it. Thanks in advance, Steve

Re: raising headlight pods manually?

If you're talking about Fiero headlights then yes - the top of the motor has a round knob that you rotate that will raise the headlight. It's been a while since I had to do so, but as I remember, if you turn it the wrong way, it will spin all day and do nothing. On the other hand, it takes a while for it to engage, so even spinning it a while in the right direction takes a while before it does anything. At any rate, it's a bigger effort than you expect, and takes a lot of rotations to raise them!

You can see the knobs in the pics for this auction:
    http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkw...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Another thing to note is that the motors can some times wear out in one direction - meaning if you raise them by hand, then flip the switch, the motor will pull them down! Kind of a pain...

The FieroStore sells headlight rebuild kits - I've never dealt with the kit personally, but I get the feeling that there may be no guarantees that it will solve the problem in every situation.

Here's one on ebay - check the year, as the headlights differ from 84-86? and 87-88
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UPGRA...Q5fAccessories

I have a pair that you can have, just pay the shipping. Let me know, they're both in great shape.
    Without talent experience is worthless

Quote Originally Posted by stevep914
    My F40 has been stored 5 months since last run, and the headlights no longer go up electrically. Don't know if it is an electrical problem or frozen light assemblies. Is there any procedure to raise the lights manually? My Haynes manual doesn't mention it. Thanks in advance, Steve
    The gears often wear out on those assemblies. But the procedure is covered in the fiero owners manual Steve. So you FINALLY got your car into the country??? Been a while since I heard from you. Start a thread with some more picts of your F40 when you get a chance. Several folks are building or rebuilding one on here now and I bet they would love to see them. I will start a thread for you with the picts you sent me if you like.

michael
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Guys, thankyou for the input! Michael, the car is still at the border- I went up to start it and make sure everything still functions. Our illustious Mexican president has shut down ALL car import from the US until further notice. I am now going to register it in Arizona on a Fiero title and vin plate I have aquired, and bring it in on an Immigration status permit- hopefully no later than Easter. have to go up and get an Az driver's licence, and then have the car DMV inspected-hence the headlight question. I WILL get this car here (two years in the making now!) thanks for your support! Steve

Check Pennocks (www.fiero.nl) for repair/rebuild guidelines. Keep in mind that the Fiero had two different headlights over the short production run. The two are not interchangeable without changing some wiring.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Steve,
    Just thought I'd throw this out the rebuild kits for the Fiero head light motor overhaul kits are pretty cheap and it is a really easy job as well. I just rebuilt both of the motors in my F40 and it was literally a one hour job from start to finish on both motors. The motors are held in by 3 bolts, an electrical plug and a c clip on the linkage. Once the motor is pulled out of the car remove the 3 cover bolts on the side and slide the big white plastic gear out. I found that I didn't even need to completely remove it from the shaft, just slide it as far up the shaft as you can. Dump all the white powdery residue that was the three plastic "dowels" from the inside and place the three new plastic dowels inside the case, i used a small screw driver to align the dowels and slid the plastic gear back into place. Bolt everything back together and you will have fully functional headlight motors again! On a scale of 1-10 for difficulty I give this a solid 2, it is an amazingly simple task.

Now I just want to replace the metal bushings on the linkage and everything will be as new as it was when it left the factory!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by kisses
    In that span of time, some of your parts will be no good already. You can check the wires, codes and the headlights too and replace them as soon as you can. Ford parts are really sensitive and needs to be used anytime.
    WTH???? Am I the only one that found that confusing?

Quote Originally Posted by matthewc
    Quote Originally Posted by kisses
    In that span of time, some of your parts will be no good already. You can check the wires, codes and the headlights too and replace them as soon as you can. Ford parts are really sensitive and needs to be used anytime.
    WTH???? Am I the only one that found that confusing?
    Thats a spam post my friend.. Notice his hidden spam link to "Ford Parts".. >

Ahhh I see, that's what I get for posting at almost 3am, I should have caught that! Spammers need to be destroyed! >