Thread: Help with fibreglass mould

Help with fibreglass mould

HI iam trying to make a mold of a naca duct from fiberglass, but the problem i seem to be having when i lay up the fiberglass matte is, when the fiberglass goes over a right angle, it starts to lift from the gel coat when the resin starts to dry.

Any advice would be very much appreciated ???
    www.lazymansguideto.com<br /><br />The Lazy Way To Learn

Re: Help with fibreglass mould

Dont use matt when going over a right angle, or any corner. Use the thin woven cloth, and add CABOSIL or another thickening agent to the resin. The cloth will conform smoothly over the edges, and the thickened resin wont allow it to lift away.
    Without talent experience is worthless

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

if all you have is Matt tear it into small strips an pieces wet the gelcoat first then lay the strips in this is a longer process but after 9-10 strips you can see what you are doing ,if you have some fiberglass veil ( its like tissue paper for the first layer then go over this with the strips this will keep the gelcoat from having air bubbles on the first layer Cabosil will do the same thing mix like a putty ,you put this on shart angles or tight corners

this is a pair of white gelcoat Murcie door panels made tonight the sharp corners were done with strips

the coupe deck lid was more open an easier it had several 90 degree truns on it

this new hood tonight was simple an fast ,just had to roll out the small air bubbles in the first 2 layers then i put on 4 more an rolled 1 direction for the rest of the bubbles this will be the murcie GTR HOOD i cut up an ad the scoop over it
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

you can also use thinner matt (.75oz) for the first 2 layers. It also help if you cut the matt to the shape of each faces and laminate them before turning corners with the same piece of fibreglass.. As mentionned in the previous post, thicker resin also help. If you don't have any filler, you can use a small amount of body filler and laminate over before it gel. You can also mix bondo (without hardener) with polyester resin and then catalize it with MEKP (your regular resin catalist). I also used to keep sanding dust from body filler and use it as a resin filler (works well)

thanks for the helpguys illlet you knowhow i got on
    www.lazymansguideto.com<br /><br />The Lazy Way To Learn

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

new black hood
    white LP door panel
    mold waxed an ready to go again

In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!