Thread: What to look for with my 96 GM L67 Supercharge drive-train

What to look for with my 96 GM L67 Supercharge drive-train

Hi everyone,

Has anyone installed or worked on the following: (I like to know what to look out for - before installing this in my project)

I just purchased a 1996 GM 3800, with the Eaton Generation III M90 supercharger, other wise known as the L67. YES - I did purchase the entire car.

I was told by the dealer, using the VIN, it was the L67 and it has a final drive of 293. It also has reduced compression of 8.5:1 in the L67 over the higher 9.4:1 in the L36 normally-aspirated version of the same time frame.

With power is up to 240 hp (180 kW) and 280 lbft (380 Nm) of torque, it should do just fine for what I am looking for.

Just a few of my concerns:

1) Possible over heating due to a tight, mid-engine, engine compartment that does not allow for much air flow and the extra heat off the supercharger. (I was going to try this set up first, to see just how bad it was, if at all. If needed and only then I might look into coating the entire exhaust, or at least the headers and taping the exhaust pipes.)

2) I was wondering if these 3.8L had any type of gasket or seal problems - like intake and/or head gaskets?

3) What about the Eaton Generation III M90 supercharger - anything to look out for or be concerned with.

4) I hear the trans might be weak - Anyone know for sure. This drive train came out of a 1996 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LSS

NOTE: The engine runs find, it has 114k on it and was a one owner vehicle. It has a little bit of oiling on the front of the intake. I did hear a slight noise from what I believe to be the front of the engine. I could not make it out and thought it might be the starting of a bad water pump, alt., or maybe even the front bearing on the supercharger. It was hard to hear as it was real slight/soft, but something was there. It did not get any louder when I gave it gas or dropped it in drive, applying the brake, and putting it under a load.

Thanks, Tony

Re: What to look for with my 96 GM L67 Supercharge drive-train

you may want joint GTP forum, tons of info there
    http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/defau...heck=110345413
    if you are going to pull out the engine, change rocker cover gaskets and oil pan . on S/ chargers you can remove the snout and change the plastic gear and re fill with fresh oil. That oil stinks like dead animal.
    I did all that changes incl. water pump, under pully, re flashed ECM,
    oh BTW for true dual exhaust ,I toss away the original exhaust manifold and used Mustang 3.8 factory shorty S/S headers.Yes it fits with minimal mod. need picture ? let me know.

Take a look at the headers, only mid flange has to be enlarge .the port are same as GM. I cut the ends off and extended so the would fit the manifold studs.

http://testblogs.sytes.net/gallery/2...ders%20002.jpg

Orcc,

Thanks for the input, very helpful...

Did you install your engine with a FWD transaxle or a RWD trans? The reason I ask - I was concerned with clearance of where the pipe mounts to the header collector.

Tony

I'm building a 99 Diablo Roadster on tubular chassis,with Audi FWD 016 transmision. as you know, is now in the rear. I have plenty room for the headers to clear.
    if you are doing it in Fiero and need some info, I'll give you a E mail to a guy who knows his stuff.

http://testblogs.sytes.net/gallery/2...0fit%20001.jpg

Although I didn't have it very long, I installed a 98 3800 SC in my Fiero. I've since pulled it in favor of a 96 Aurora 4.0. But, to answer your questions:
    1) Possible over heating due to a tight, mid-engine, engine compartment that does not allow for much air flow and the extra heat off the supercharger. (I was going to try this set up first, to see just how bad it was, if at all. If needed and only then I might look into coating the entire exhaust, or at least the headers and taping the exhaust pipes.)
    - No issue here. I used the stock 4 cylinder radiator and the time I had it on the road (90+ degree days), it never got hot.

2) I was wondering if these 3.8L had any type of gasket or seal problems - like intake and/or head gaskets?
    - I had some light leakage around the valvecovers, but thats to be expected.

3) What about the Eaton Generation III M90 supercharger - anything to look out for or be concerned with.
    - Change the fluid. Look for runout or wobble on the pulley.

4) I hear the trans might be weak - Anyone know for sure. This drive train came out of a 1996 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LSS
    Depends on the trans. I had the 4T65EHD. It's pretty stout.

As mentioned, check out www.clubgp.com or www.fiero.nl for more swap info.

BTW, I used the Westcoast Fiero mounts for my install.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif