Thread: bump steer?

bump steer?

Anyone have any success with a bump steer product for a 84-87 fiero. I have the car lowered and am installing a rear sway bar. The prices I've ranged from $120 to $680. I was wondering if anyone had any success with a certain product to correct bump steer.

Fyi the car has a v-8 pushing about 425HP so handling is of the up most importance!!

Thanks, hopefully I will get some answers!!!

Re: bump steer?

Don't waste your time on the 120.00 fix cause it won't help at all. Take it from me buy the Held motor sports rear kit you will thank me later.

I had a Helds kit on rear , it helped a lot. but with that kind of HP you are going to need lot more and on the front as well.
    let us know if you can go more then 70MPH on hwy. without any fear . you must be honest OK.

thanks that is who I was going to use. I'll place the order tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rcc
    I had a Helds kit on rear , it helped a lot. but with that kind of HP you are going to need lot more and on the front as well.
    let us know if you can go more then 70MPH on hwy. without any fear . you must be honest OK.
    What do you mean by a lot more? Are you saying a held is no good after 70mph?

I did not say Helds is no good, I said (from my own experiance) you'll need to beef up the front suspension and rear struts. it would woble left to right at higher speed and would feel like it's front hydroplaning.
    I would ask Dave at Helds for solution . I think stronger springs,but I'm not an expert , I sold the car long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rcc
    I did not say Helds is no good, I said (from my own experiance) you'll need to beef up the front suspension and rear struts. it would woble left to right at higher speed and would feel like it's front hydroplaning.
    I would ask Dave at Helds for solution . I think stronger springs,but I'm not an expert , I sold the car long ago.
    You had other problems besides bumpsteer correction. There are plenty of built Fieros that can handle 70 plus, just like stock Fieros. And if you're refering to Dave Held, I don't believe he's affiliated with Held's anymore. I think Lee is the ontact there.

Now, I'm not selling this as a solution because I haven't tried it yet, but I've relocated the pivot point to a sweet spot on the cradle. It keeps the toe arm parallel to the control arm and moves the inner pivot in line with the inner pivot of the control arm. This is similar to what the RCC kit does, but without extensions and such. It does require fabricating a new link (I couldn't find a stock steering link the right length).

Of course if I could afford the Held setup, I'd probably do that, too.
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Thanks,

The front has been beefed up and the rear struts have also been upgraded. Just never had a rear sway bar or a correction for the bump steer.

70 hasn't been a problem on the highway.... on back roads well thats a different story!!!

Thanks again for your help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by f328v8
    Anyone have any success with a bump steer product for a 84-87 fiero. I have the car lowered and am installing a rear sway bar. The prices I've ranged from $120 to $680. I was wondering if anyone had any success with a certain product to correct bump steer.

Fyi the car has a v-8 pushing about 425HP so handling is of the up most importance!!

Thanks, hopefully I will get some answers!!!
    Did you buy another replica? I rember you selling the 328 you built a few years back..

I thought I would mention my Fiero handles good at over 130mph, but I dont know what exactly was done to the suspension.. It only takes me about 12 seconds to get to 130mph so its not a long process to get there, but the car is very stable..

Here is a look at the rear cradle.. I think the huge anti-sway/roll bar helps a lot with the stability.. My car is based on a 88 car, but it seems to handle very similar to the 86 Fiero based 308 replica I had with Held suspension and a Caddy V8..

Thanks for the info and the pics!!!
    I bought it back. The person that bought it replaced the engine so we just upgraded the engine again! I never had a rear sway bar in the back and it handled ok but you could tell it needed one. So While the engine is out I figured I'd upgrade the rear with a sway bar and the bump steer kit. I'm thinking there shouldn't be any problems now with handling hopefully!!!
    Car should be back on the road in Mid March weather permitting!!!