Thread: F355 kit side quarter windows??

F355 kit side quarter windows??

The quarter window glass on F355 kits... is it from another vehicle, or custom made for the kit? What about the rear glass?

http://www.b-bspyder.com/2.jpg

I'd like to do windows like this on a Fiero GT (no kit) if possible..

Re:F355 kit side quarter windows??

some people have been known to use glass from another vehicle ,but it must conform to your vehicle or have a plastic window cut from a shop (Acrylic is supposed to be better than the stock Lexan)The acrylic however is much more resistant to heat and ultraviolet light ,Make sure you tell your supplier what you will be using it for and have him suggest the strongest and most scratch resistant plexi available.I work in the glass industry and the plexiglass that is optimum is an abrasion resistant(AR)plexi, also there is some with over 99% UV protection(op3). There isnt any that combines the 2, however AR is still not impervious to scratches!! Care MUST be made when cleaning! you can use a hairdryer on high to shape the curve of the windows.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

what other vehicle? I looked at 2nd gen MR2 side glass, but I wasn't sure it'd fit...

Your going to have to measer the dimensions on the fiberglass body,window opening and compare that with the dimensions with the window you want to use.I asume you prefer glass, there is a slight problem with the glass, that being no flex to conform to the body shape. I would contact some one with a spider kit and find out what glass they used, but that doesn't mean it will fit your kit due to diffrences in body shape and design.Your best off probubly measureing your self by starting at the wrecking yard, so you can measure the diffrent windows out there (I dought youll get the widows out, due to dificulty,so your probubly better off purchaseing them new)But you can get a general idea of whats avalable by going to the wrecking yard.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

I know that on my Mirage kit, I used the smoked Lexan/Plexiglas for both the side and rear window. Air-Dynamics (John Watson) uses OEM 348-355 rear quarter windows and a rear glass from an MR2. The rear and side glass do have some compromises. There is a wedge shaped filler panel that will need to be added to the lower portion of your B pillar to align it with the Fiero door glass.

On the rear window, the glass looks nice once installed but to make it look like a 355 you will need to use black paint to trail the line of the window to the rear of the car. The finished product looks nice. Just depends on your preference. The OEM side glass is about $230 each side, the MR2 rear glass is about $250. A sheet of lexan/Plexiglas is about $50.

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

One thing I should also mention is that in order to use 355 quarter windows you need to cut out part of your frame, which requires you to relocate you rear window.

*IF* (big if.. hehe) I do this, it'd be done at the same time as a targa roof conversion, so the frame would be hacked up and all the glass removed already, why not do a bit more cutting and have something nicer looking when you put it all back together?