Thread: HELP please

HELP please

Looking at an awesome set of rims 18 X 8.5 with a 40 mm offset.
    My question is:

The tire guy I spoke with said we could put a pair of 265/40/18 on these (for the rear) and a pair of 225/40/18 on the front with no probs.
    This just doesn't make sense to a dumb jet aircraft mechanic like myself, as a 265 is a lot wider than a 225 mounted on the same size rim. SO... I figured I'd ask the brains (or the collective brains) here on the forum if it makes sense to them.

ALSO... with a 40mm offset, and standard Fiero axles on my AD355, any idea what size spacers I'd have to use?

Thanks, you guys rock! (as opposed to some who just ARE rocks.)

Re: HELP please

I just went to the Tire rack site, and plugged in those sizes, into the tire by size boxes, then checked specs on a few brands for each size.
    Looks like the 225's will not be a problem, as they recommend a 7.5 to 9 inch wide wheel. The 265's on the other hand, are just over the limit with the recommended wheel width of 9 to 10.5 inches. Might make the tires bulge out a bit at the side walls.

Kevin

When reading a tire size, 265/40 r18 265 is the width of the tire, 40 is the aspect ration of the width and the r18 is the rime size. The 265 is in MM and is industry standard...

I believe if you want to run spacers, its 3 inch in the back and 2 in the front, but if you go with aftermarket rims, get a deep offset in the 60' to reduce the spacer size and much safer.

THANKS GUYS! ;D