Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Tank Help

Gas Tank Help

Ok, I think I did the most dummest thing. I cut out the center counsel to put the lower version of the center counsel of the 355. The problem is, is that I no longer hanve a gas tank. I need some advice on were to put the new gas tank and also which one can I buy.

Re:Gas Tank Help

Your best option is to purhcase a soft shell racing fuel cell. They come in various sizes up to 12 gallons I think. It can then be placed in the front compartment in place of the spare or in the truck. It's up to you.

Food for thought...

The Fiero is slightly rear end weight bias so you could put it in the front to help you with better weight distribution and handling. BUT... as the fuel depleats, you handling changes

On the other hand, putting the bladder in the rear will increase off throttle/braking oversteer. Again, this will decrease as the fuel runs dry.

Ferrari has the best option I think... if only we could figure a way to work it out on the Fiero... the F355 Fuel Cell is BEHIND THE SEATS. In front of the Fire Wall but behind the seats. In their case, the center of gravity is lowered as fuel depleats but balance remains the same.

Good Luck!

DKOV -

I have seen a pic with a fuel cell up front under the hood,just a slight problem of were to fill the tank, but it can be done (with quite a few modifications).I assume you took out the center console to make more room.......?Now what?You have the choice of moveing the fuel tank or rewelding the center console back in.Most likely you will have to get a custome fuel tank $$$ with modifications $$$.Now ask your self this?Can you move the fuel tank?Can you afford to move the fuel tank?Can you afford to pay some one to come over and move it for you?..........just some things to keep in mind,Good Luck.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Since the trunk area on most kits is not used it is an easy space, but it will throw off the handling and weight distribution of the car. A fuel cell purchased from a performance shop mounted in the front is the safest, cheapest and easiest.

I have seen tanks mounted in the front and the rear.
    I have a spare tank in my front, when you fill it up people look at you kind of funny..

You can put a large tank in the nose, that would be my choice, look at 911's that's where they put them.

Also look where the motor is too... BEHIND the rear axle. Totally different situation. It is appropriate for the Porsche but a Fiero?

Even so, I agree that the front compartment makes the most sense. In terms of safety and easy installation.

Personally, I'd find a way to get the interior close to what you want while leaving the tank in the stock location. Think about it... regardless of the fuel level, the weight distribution remains constant. More important for spirited driving. For cruising... put it where you want. It won't even matter.

As long as YOU are happy... WE are happy

DKOV -

NEED4SPD

If I were you I would listed to what DKOV is saying. Think about it, you will have more than enoght stuff to worry about, I would keep the factory tank there.

Like I always say, KISS (keep it simple stupid) I dont want to mock anyone,but that has always been my motto. Just my 2 cents

A few years ago, I heard about a t-shaped replacement tank for the fiero...

This may be a stupid question but couldn't you just mount a smaller sized or trimmed stock tank in the same location?

Does The tank run the length of the passenger area? or is it in front and directly under the shift assembly?

Attack Roadster, F355 Spyder, F512TR Coupe &amp; Diablo Roadster<br /><br />If only money grew on freaking trees!!!

Do Not Ever place objects (groceryís, golf clubs, hockey skates, etc...) in that large empty compartment behind the engine compartment. Because that will throw off the handling & balance of the fiero. Or any other car. What?
    Pontiac placed the tank between the seats to solve packaging problems that were more important than interior space. Ten gallons of fuel burn has a negligible effect on a 3000 lb street carís CG.
    Where is the gas tank on Jeff Gordonís race car?
    How many people calculate empty VW & front/rear weight bias before deciding to install that (hopefully EFI) 5.7 L?
    The fiero is tail heavy. Moving the drivetrain module aft by 3 inches makes it even more tail heavy. Does that stop any of us from cutting the car in half? No. We cut & lengthen our cars to more precisely REPLICATE that other car. So why is a correct exterior, or wheels, or tail light selection, or decal/badge placement, more important than having a correct interior?
    Yes, that includes the steering wheel.
    Hey, whats that big thing between the seats? Thats not supposed to be there!
    NEED4SPD- put your gas tank anywhere you want. Iím glad to see youíre not just leaving it where it was. The easy way is almost never the best way.
    If I install a 5 gal tank in front & 5 gal tank in the back, will everyone be happy?