Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to make a speed sensor spoler to raise up?

how to make a speed sensor spoler to raise up?

on the carrera body kit, i want to make a rear spoiler to pop up at sertain speeds, (not by pushing a button) is there a speed sensor that could be purchasedto activate the antena motor to push the spoiler up, or is there other ways to make it work?

Re: how to make a speed sensor spoler to raise up?

You could use a vacuum actator, similar to the ones used on Ram Air hoods. Or a linear actuator with a trigger circuit that measures PPM of the speedo input.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Bobi1
    Add 2 simple switches and electric motor (from door power window system) to the electrical system, one switch to the gas pedal, one to the clutch pedal. Make them work ONLY when the gas pedal is pushed to certain (adjustable by you) level OR both the gas pedal and the clutch pedal are pushed together. IF the clutch pedal is pushed alone, the switches don't activate the electric motor to raise the rear spoiler. This way, you get a very simple DIY system with will "understand" your speed through your input actions with the pedals. You can also make the spoiler active (why not even almost vertically raised) from the brake pedal, so you get an air brake, too. Once you leave free the brake pedal it will normalize the previous level of the rear spoiler (normal horizontal or raised at high speed, all depends from how deep the gas pedal is pushed). You also need few limit switches to control the min and max travel of the spoiler (I suggest use double more switches to prevent undesired failure and damage of your active spoiler system).
    Are you serious? This will NEVER work. How often do you drive with your foot depressing the clutch pedal? What if its an automatic? I can just see it,- your spoiler raises up every time you accelerate from a stop, and goes down when you reach cruising speed! There is no way it will "understand" your speed according to the gas pedal position! This is just crazy talk. How about you connect a string to a little army man parachutte, and connect it to a lever thats attached to the spoiler. As you go faster, more air flow will pull harder on the parachutte, and in turn on the string, which will make your spoiler raise accordingly. As you slow down, the opposite will happen. Be shure to keep extra string in the car, in case you go to fast and break it.
    Without talent experience is worthless

or you could just get an air switch and mount it in the front openings.or you could get a piggy back computer that reads speedo output. or a bunch of other ways that require less work. am i the only one that thinks this isnt that hard and doesnt require 20 switches and gears on timmers? i dont want to sound harsh so sorry but this has been done hi tech and low tech many times.no need to reinvent the wheel

i got something in mind about this one for my future built...
    real simple....
    any beginner can do it without messing with the ECU or OEM wiring which might end up big mess....

a pop-up light's actuator(like the mk2 MR2) and a cheapo Japanese made speed meter with warning light system...

set the warning at a certain speed which give signal to a 12V relay to activate the actuator..(which suppose blink the warning lights)...

i know APEXi and PIVOT have these digital speed meter with warning lights...
    try google APEXi or PIVOT Speed Meter...

hope this method works(?)...

now all we need is the Ultra Mega Extremely Simple Switch!

You guys are missing the winner. Remember the VW Corrado? Once it hit 50mph the rear spoiler lifts up. Jump in the VW forums and ask away.

Porsche quickly found out that the police would look for 911s with the spoiler raise to catch people. To combat this, they changed the lowering speed to around 5 MPH. The other thing they did was to have the raise to be a range of speeds. For a custom design there is nothing the police can use. It is not like they are going to read about your car in Road and Track to find out that your spoiler goes up at 80MPH only.

I would build a frequency counter circuit that hooks up to the OBD port or a micro processor that hooks up to the OBD port. I do not have time now to build this as I need to find a job first. If no one else has build this circuit by August, I can do it.

I can't see how a raised spoiler that improves the driving stability & safety of a car, can be a problem for the police ??? Well, the only thing the spoiler decreases is the rear visibility, but hey, I thought it was already poor in the Lambo models and most of the owners use the side mirrors.
    I think :
    Brastic didnt mean cop is ticketing him with the spoiler being raised but,
    with the "spoiler up", the car is definately above a certain speed which is restricted in a certain area...

I think this is an excellant Idea!!!!!!!

You should go rent a shop...oh and a heater and start building some crates ASAP so you can put this into production ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Z
    or you could just get an air switch and mount it in the front openings.or you could get a piggy back computer that reads speedo output. or a bunch of other ways that require less work. am i the only one that thinks this isnt that hard and doesnt require 20 switches and gears on timmers? i dont want to sound harsh so sorry but this has been done hi tech and low tech many times.no need to reinvent the wheel
    Sorry, it's hard to me to tell these switches "complicated" :'( Maybe it sounds too hard when described with words instead of diagram, but trust me it's very simple to do such totally adjustable system to have 2 different aims - to raise the rear spoiler at high speed, and to raise it even more at braking. The only think that differs in my diagram is the lack of other 3 switches to connect the line + several limit switches (which are exactly the same, just work the opposite way - they disconnect the line), but it shows perfectly how "complicated" are the switches. You just have to connect each of them to different pedal.