Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having parts made - Very cool!

Having parts made - Very cool!

From me to you this is cool and especially for those of us
    who have worked on cars and sometimes find parts unavailable...

Click on the link below, then click on the start button to start the video.
    This is really neat technology which will amaze you as it did me.

Jay Leno having parts made.
    --------------------------------------------------
    (http://widgets.nbc.com/o/47f1317f105...a4377d3bfd6c81)

Re: Having parts made - Very cool!

Holy crap!!!! That is fantastic.

I really like that the printer made the assembled parts all as one unit, one pass, and worked when it came out of the part printer.

Very cool indeed. Good find MacGyver.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Everyone should have one of these in their sheds! You never know when you might want to clone a closepin or something?

I tried to talk my wife into getting one of those scanners, but being out of a job and that $3k thing stopped it. The only thing I can wait for now is for the price to come down. We all know that by next year it will be around a grand.

Hey guys the scanner is about $3k, but the 3d printer is $14,900 for a table top model and the one like they used for the video with Leno is likely in the $30-40k range.

I will tell you that I have made a deal with a new company in Tenn. that is developing one of these type machine (3d printer) that will retail for less than $4000, and can actually do things that other printers can't do....at least yet. Let's say you wanted a emblem made that oh...maybe had some sort of horse rearing on it's hind legs, and you wanted all of that printed in color ready to use....done!

As soon as I get my demo machine, something this spring or early summer, I will make something and post a pic.

Mike

thats so awesome

do u think u could scan genuine murcie parts and make a sweet kit easily

not to mention engine covers

did anyone catch how big of a part it can do?

yes.. it's 3xxx USD depends on amount of purchase... but it the price for 3d scanner... the 3d printing would cost u about 40k USD

Quote Originally Posted by Bobi1
    Quote Originally Posted by turmite
    Hey guys the scanner is about $3k, but the 3d printer is $14,900 for a table top model and the one like they used for the video with Leno is likely in the $30-40k range.

I will tell you that I have made a deal with a new company in Tenn. that is developing one of these type machine (3d printer) that will retail for less than $4000, and can actually do things that other printers can't do....at least yet. Let's say you wanted a emblem made that oh...maybe had some sort of horse rearing on it's hind legs, and you wanted all of that printed in color ready to use....done!

As soon as I get my demo machine, something this spring or early summer, I will make something and post a pic.

Mike
    That's some great news, Mike! I can't wait to see your first samples ;D The price sounds almost unbelievable, are you sure it's only $4K?
    By the way, most 3D printers can do models with more or less colors, although with the current technology it's still not possible to make models with full 24-bit color palette. There is a company about 160 km from my location that can 3D print even clear transparent details like toy car glass etc. I'm going to test this one the next week if the price is reasonable.
    Bobi it is now possible to use full color along with full paint schemes, including graphics, custom paint etc assuming you were making a model of a concept car!

The 3d printer I am referring to will cost $4000 or less, and can use any file extension that Rhino uses! Hmmmmmm Sounds like it might be tied to Rhino files huh??? ;D The machine I am talking about will have a work envelope of 15" cube. A second machine is in the planning stages that will have an envelope of about 40"X20"X20". Another machine is being worked on right now that will do the same type 3d printing with metal, and it too will retail for $4000 or less.

Mike

haha i can get my old toy cars, take them apart and make a kit!!! i wish ahaha

but could tht happen??

lmao i have a 1:24 scale reventon model car hahaha