Thread: molding help needed

molding help needed

say someone had access to a rather expensive car and didn't want to in any way damage the paint work or disassemble the car at all, what would be used as a barrier between the car and the fibreglass. i know, i know wax/pva etc, but i mean a real barrier. something where there is absolutely no chance of damaging the paint work. i'm aware of polyester release films and vacuum bagging release films and even aluminium foil but i'm not sure if these would work effectively. i know these wont give a perfect finish but that isnt necessarily that important, its the accurate shape i am after as surface imperfections can be put right later.

also another issue, 'they' only have access to the car for a few days. any tips on moulding something that quickly without distortion?

all advise is appreciated!

Re: molding help needed

hi my fibreglass suppliers do a resin whereby you can lay up 6 layers of matt in one go and get no distortion
    the mould can be removed the following day and can be used straight away , and is fully cured , ive used it and it works very well , it is expensive but when time is not on your side it well worth considering

thanks mark

get a roll of vynl sticker, lay it over the entire car as a barrier for the paint, wax it, spray the pva and start molding. good luck!

Does this not give the chance of pulling the paint off with the sticker?

Quote Originally Posted by prototype2
    get a roll of vynl sticker, lay it over the entire car as a barrier for the paint, wax it, spray the pva and start molding. good luck!

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prototype2
    Use " brush on " it is a silicon based rubber like material that go over PVA then when the rubber dry some fiberglass can be used over it an the silicon based material will not damage the car or paint

sold by industrial polymer of Houston Tx.
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

gallardo - any chance you could tell me your supplier, pm me if you like? by the way, your project looks great! cant wait for the mr2 version to be released!

i like the idea of using a vinyl or release film type sheet to act as a proper barrier but i am concerned about the vinyl damaging the paint also, and i need to know if there is an appropriate release film for this kind of project as the supplier i use has something but he said there are problems with it lifting when gelcoat is applied. not sure if this could be resolved by using tape to secure it?
    hopefully someone can come up with a better solution.

i really dont want to put anything on the actual paintwork as the car isnt mine and its very, very, very expensive!!

optimold tooling resin? seems to be the best bet for fast curing resin with no distortion but still the problem of protecting the paintwork exists. someone help please!