Thread: How long to GM V6 motors last?

How long to GM V6 motors last?

Hey guys,

Anyone know by how many miles one should replace the V6 GM motor that comes stock with 88 fieros instead of contstantly repairing it?

I've heard 200,000 Miles is a good time to change.

FerrariMPH

Re: How long to GM V6 motors last?

I am not sure about the 2.8 v6 GM motors. I have one in my 87SE with 127XXX, I think it is tired and very slow already . I know for a fact that the GM 3800 V6 is one of the best motors ever made and will last a long time. I know few with over 300K and still going strong. With the 3800 you will lose your trans once or twice before you kill the motor.If you do your normal maintenance, 3800 is a bullet proof motor.

Prasad

I just saw an 86 Fiero, one owner, 5 speed, SE with 288,000 miles on the clock and still going strong. It did get a new clutch, valve job and timing chain along the way. Not too bad, eh.

The key is changing the oil every 3-4k miles according to the owner.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Before I decided to do a swap my 88 formula had 289,000 and was still going strong

Oil changes every 3-4000 is deffinatly the key

i had a 86 gt with over 500,000 and it ran great,i know the guy that bought it new,it has had 2 timing chains and thats it.i dont understand what people mean by the motor the motor is weak,hell if the valves are valving ,and the rings are ringing,and the bearings are bearinging ,what could be wrong.the specs are within 2 thousandths on every part on the litlle 2.8 so they are within specs or there not

A well taken care of motor can last, but to give you an answer I would say if you have the time and or money and your looking to have something more reliable go for it, overwise keep it running until you have the money for a rebuild, "I would ather do a swap for more H.P. but to each is own"?!?!?!
    Infact I am doing a N* swap and pulling a good 2.8 L with about 125K miles on it?
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.