Thread: Drivetrain question

Drivetrain question

I'm having my chassis built and I am wondering how to make a Front engine RWD drivetrain a Rear / mid engine RWD drive train. I would like to use the Infiniti G35 coupe setup (vq35 and 6 speed manual) ;D

Thanks

Re: Drivetrain question

I swear sometimes you guys just need to learn more about cars. Sorry, I don't mean to be rude. Here's the thing. If the motors in the front now, what makes you think it will go in the back and still use the same trans? You gotta use a different transmission. Do some research, find out how things work. I started with R/C cars when I was a kid, you know, the kind you have to build yourself. lol Then through taking a bunch of real cars apart and doing research, I figure this stuff out. The good news is I am developing an adapter setup to use the Nissan/Infiniti VQ35DE engine with an Audi Trans. It will be a 5 speed manual and should handle 500hp. The nice thing is these motors will put out 340hp bone stock. But the bummer is you CANNOT use the factory ECU and wiring. You have to go completely standalone. Cost is about $2400 for the harness modifications and the new computer and allready tuned but it's worth it. Adding boost will be easy too with this ecu setup. Just wondering, who's building the chassis and have you told him this wild idea of yours?
    jon

The good news for you is that Nissan already does this for some of their racing cars. The bad news is that I've never seen a conversion kit that you can get "Off the shelf" for this.

You'll need the engine, a proper transmission (Audi, VW, Porsche, etc) and an adapter. Kennedy Engineering (http://www.kennedyeng.com) is probably the best place to get the adapter from, they already make on for the Nissan 3.0 V6 and I've heard that they can custom make kits as needed. As mentioned by jvdcustomdesigns you'll need a stand alone ECU as well.

If you want to keep the VQ engine using a Maxima as a donor may be a good option too, it's a FF setup and I believe (not 100% sure on this) that it uses a cable shift system which makes moving the whole thing behind the driver a bit easier. There's a whole other set of problems that comes with this type of setup, but if you're having a chassis custom built your builder would be the best person to talk to about this.
    I come to you with only &quot;KARATE&quot; - empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor; should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons - &quot;KARATE&quot; - my empty hands.<br />- Ed Parker, 1957

Just mount the body on the chassis backwards. Only problem then is having 6 reverse gears and only 1 forward.
    Without talent experience is worthless

You don't have to abandon the transmission and put in a transaxle. Kevin Lions (kevkev on kit central) used a front engine RWD set-up in his Diablo. He used the engine and transmission in the mid-eninge position (backwards) up to a marine V-drive and back to a corvette differential. Not a pipe dream. He built it, did a good job, and made an awesome car. His only comment was that the V-Drive had a little "whine" to it. Likely because it was a flat cut gear. But he said he liked the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by bartman
    You don't have to abandon the transmission and put in a transaxle. Kevin Lions (kevkev on kit central) used a front engine RWD set-up in his Diablo. He used the engine and transmission in the mid-eninge position (backwards) up to a marine V-drive and back to a corvette differential. Not a pipe dream. He built it, did a good job, and made an awesome car. His only comment was that the V-Drive had a little "whine" to it. Likely because it was a flat cut gear. But he said he liked the sound.
    Thank you Bartman and Any_Key. This was the answer to my question. I wanted to know if it was possible. If this were "doable" It would open up a lot of options for engine choice.

@ JVD sometime using your brain means thinking out of the box. Aparently, i'm not to far off as you have thought about this engine as well. hence the adapter for the audi transaxle. My chassis builder is a local guy (Eastern, PA) and he had the same reaction as you did. LOL He said to go with SBC and audi (simple, easy, and tested).

@Murcie-Me: CONGRATULATIONS, you have given me my first "Nuggie" on this forum. lol

Next question is could I use a porsche transaxle as it has 6 speeds? Other than cost, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by jrslyrics
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman
    Thank you Bartman and Any_Key. This was the answer to my question. I wanted to know if it was possible. If this were "doable" It would open up a lot of options for engine choice.

@ JVD sometime using your brain means thinking out of the box. Aparently, i'm not to far off as you have thought about this engine as well. hence the adapter for the audi transaxle. My chassis builder is a local guy (Eastern, PA) and he had the same reaction as you did. LOL He said to go with SBC and audi (simple, easy, and tested).

@Murcie-Me: CONGRATULATIONS, you have given me my first "Nuggie" on this forum. lol

Next question is could I use a porsche transaxle as it has 6 speeds? Other than cost, why not?
    You are welcome. And if you go with the Audi, you really need to put in the reinforcement plate. I distroyed two audi's with fairly low HP V8 before putting in the plate. I think jdinner has the info on the plate. I have been thinking about the boxster/cayman 6 speed as well. They are getting more plentiful and the price is going down. Not sure on the adaptor for the boxster it is a different bellhousing pattern than the "porsche" adaptor listed at Kennedy. That adaptor is the older vw/Porsche pattern.

I can do the adaptor for you if needed. Depending on what your drivetrain layout is going to be, either longitudinal or transverse, there might already be what you need available. Contact me at aeauto@tri.net.

Eric
    A&E Automotive & Machining