Thread: Custom length axles that last

Custom length axles that last

I hsve helped other forum members before to design/build custom length axles that arent welded or have some weak point somewhere. Believe me, nothing more embarassing than try;ng to impress and bust an axle. done it too many times. Yet so simple this is.
    1) Go to wrecking yard or parts house to get the inboard and outboard yokes.
    2) Install both for one side (right or left)
    3) set car ON THE WHEELS YOU PLAN TO UZE, at the correct ride height.
    4) measure from the inboard to the outboard (where you need the axle). Make sure the inboard (the sliding yoke), is half way in the tranny prior to measure.
    5. Interpart will tell you the specs on a common spline, but if a combo, (say, a ford SHO engine with large GM outboard)need to get the spline count and diameter.
    6) Call Moser Engineering with the length from the inner to the outer and configurations for both sides. They will machine both ends to the diameter and e
    length desired. If you have a standard axle you need longer, send them your axles and let them know how much longer.
    Sometimes this may mean you buy a set from the parts counter and then disassemble them to send the actual shafts in. Inboard, usually no issue, just pop off the boot and release the snap ring.
    Outboard a bit different, need to drive out the balls AFTER removing the yoke from the shaft.
    Bottom line... DONT get an axle welded, sleeved, or whatever. IT WILL BREAK with enough torque, plus this is only a couple hundred dollars to fix correctly vs tow bills and eventual failure. Details??? Pm me.
    Eric

Re: Custom length axles that last

Great info. Thankyou ;D
    Without talent experience is worthless

Eric,
    Great info! I will have to check to see if this is an option for me as I am using an audi trans (bolts on) with a corvette spindle. It would be nice not to have the two cut and welded together!!

FB

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Berlinetta
    Eric,
    Great info! I will have to check to see if this is an option for me as I am using an audi trans (bolts on) with a corvette spindle. It would be nice not to have the two cut and welded together!!

FB
    If you look here, I used BMW 750 axles, they bolt right onto the Audi perfectly, then I made up a spacer to make the difference and welded an old BMW flange to that. So now I have factory BMW 750 axles in my replica.
    http://stweb.peelschools.org/sssweb/...rts/index.html