Thread: tornado sports car has a funny noise clutch or gearbox (problem solved)

tornado sports car has a funny noise clutch or gearbox (problem solved)

tornado sports car 1989
    ford small block 302 350bhp
    un1 gearbox
    gto racing housing
    ford 302 clutch

Right where do I start ,I have been building a tornado sports car ,it used to be their demo car cica 1989 white but now its blue , the clutch seems to be making a noise it used to have a renault clutch ,but they kept burning out ,then I brought the car and fitted the gto housing which uses the ford clutch.

When I hold the clutch down theres no noise and it sometimes goes in gear with no noise but as I rev up to go this winding noise quite loud appears, but when the car is engaged and going alone the noise totally disapears, also some times this happens and sometimes it dont ,it also happens in reverse, all the clutch are new parts 50 miles max, I never recon the gearbox the bloke before said he did now Im wondering if gearbox is problem any help would be apperiated I have quite alot of photos if this helps.

thanks dave...

Re: tornado sports car has a funny noise coming from clutch or gearbox

Might it be the throw-out bearing? They usually only make noise when you dis-engage the clutch, but remain quiet when the car is running in gear. With the car idling, press in the clutch slowly until its fully dis-engagaed. Note if theres any noise at any point. If not, bring the idle up to about 1000 RPM, and do the same thing. If theres still no noise, chances are its NOT the throw bearing, but probably the main shaft bearing. If there IS a noise, chances are its the throw bearing.
    Without talent experience is worthless

Quote Originally Posted by MURCI-ME
    Might it be the throw-out bearing? They usually only make noise when you dis-engage the clutch, but remain quiet when the car is running in gear. With the car idling, press in the clutch slowly until its fully dis-engagaed. Note if theres any noise at any point. If not, bring the idle up to about 1000 RPM, and do the same thing. If theres still no noise, chances are its NOT the throw bearing, but probably the main shaft bearing. If there IS a noise, chances are its the throw bearing.
    thankyou for your quick reply Ive changed the throw out bearing, and been told it could be the main shaft bearing ill keep you up to date..
    thanks dave...

There is a chance it still could be the throw out bearng if when it is disengaged there is clearance between the bearing and the forks and the pressure plate. If I remember corectly, there should always be a little pressure on the forks of the pressure plate. To check, dissconnect the linkage or slave cylinder and see if there is any play in the arm that goes into the trans. If there is play you will have to either add in a spacer or get a thicker throw out bearing if available.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Berlinetta
    There is a chance it still could be the throw out bearng if when it is disengaged there is clearance between the bearing and the forks and the pressure plate. If I remember corectly, there should always be a little pressure on the forks of the pressure plate. To check, dissconnect the linkage or slave cylinder and see if there is any play in the arm that goes into the trans. If there is play you will have to either add in a spacer or get a thicker throw out bearing if available.
    update ive taken out gearbox ,and taken gearbox apart and the mehanic mate of mine said the main shaft bearings ok and gearbox looks ok also there is a magnet buit in the gearbox which is showing no iron fileings all looks good , the pilot bearings got some wear so im going to change it, he said the clutch could be the problem as the clutch and clutch plate was brought separatly theres a four pad clutch, and a standard back plate he said the pilot bearing could be making it shake slightly and the two different materials makes the noise like brake scweel ,so im going to buy the whole clutch so theres no compatabilty problem,
    dave...

update ive checked gearbox all looks ok ,put in new heavy duty clutch that came from america ,change pivot bearing as well took it for a spin today all seems ok, very relieved now thanks to everyone who helped me ,,
    dave...