Thread: Stipping paint from a kit car< can anyone recommend a good paint stripper?

Stipping paint from a kit car< can anyone recommend a good paint stripper?

Ok,
    I need to get rid of all the red paint on my car, can anyone recommend a paint stripper for this and perhaps a few methods?
    William

Re: Stipping paint from a kit car< can anyone recommend a good paint stripper?

I am a certified automotive painter, and the best way is to use a sand paper by hand or a orbital sander, the paint stiper works well on metals but on the plastics and fiberglass i personaly wouldnt do, just my opinion, if there is body filler underneath the paint and primer you will disolve it with the paint stipper, then youll have to redo alot of it it, by sanding you can actualy make the body staighter and nicer, be really carefull in using orbital sander or DA sander you can cut through ,

I don't mind doing the sanding, but what should I start with, I need to make sure it's straight anyway...any help or tutorial on this? Thank you for the reply, BTW
    William

I would go with the 80 grit , remove all down,anyway you are going to do some fab on fenders and front bumper etc. roof or other parts if it is ok leave it for now.
    shave it off and do the glass work. after we talk about the next step.

the only paint stripper i would use on any composite would be spray and strip. It is in a spray bottle and works very well on fiberglass and compostites

Hi William, I stripped a metal car of 4 layers of paint, and all i used was a 1000w halogen work lamp, you will need welding goggles so you don't go blind, and a 3" wide metal scraper, just warmed the paint up with the light until it started to bubble, hold the scraper at about 45 deg to the panel and push and 4 layers at a time just rolled of the body, hold the light just forward of where you are working to preheat the next area,the heat from the light seemed to only heat the paint and the metal never really got hot so in your case the f/glass should be ok. It was really fast, only a day to strip a large car.

Regards
    Graeme

sand blast it