Thread: Making flushmount headlight buckets..???

Making flushmount headlight buckets..???

I am adding custom flush mount headlights to my "Fiero", but I have run into a wall on how to actually fabricate the buckets. I'm thinking of making them from fiberglass, but I'm a little unclear on the best way to actually "mold" them. I've also toyed with ideas of making them from sheetmetal and vacuum forming.

Does anyone have experience you can share or ideas you want to throw on the table?

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Re: Making flushmount headlight buckets..???

I am not sure how you could easilly fabricate them. I would consider maybe going to the junkyard and finding some that are close, and then molding them into the like that you want to use.

have you got any pics of the kind of thing you want? it should be pretty simple to do if you give us an idea of what you're after

Here's what I was thinking, in cardboard, to give me an idea to work with...

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images       

I thought I was the only one who pre-fab'd out of cardboard! So far, it looks good. Once you get the shape and fit that you want, do the same thing out of 1/4" MDF and glue it together with some good super glue. MDF will accept bondo without peeling, and once you get it sanded, spray it with PCL primer to seal it, then sand it smooth. Be shure to round-over any corners that should be before you spray the primer. Once its all done, wax it up and use some sprayable Part-All as a mould release. It looks like it should be easy to hard mould out of fiberglass. Be shure to keep in mind how you will mount your top lens. I think the best way is to flange the top so you can screw or rivit your lens on. Make the flange large enough so you wont see it when the hood is closed.
    Without talent experience is worthless

Quote Originally Posted by RCR
    Here's what I was thinking, in cardboard, to give me an idea to work with...

Bob
    Yeah, that looks good. Thats not quite as complicated as I thought you were originally talking about. You should be able make those out of fiberglass. If its anything like the stuff that I make, you will spend 90% of your time sanding... but it will get there.

i've been toying with flushmounts for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet. This thread over at pennocks could be a good reference for ya, the buckets mount to the existig holes for the headlight doors..
    http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/039830.html

Maybe this is naive, and a little off topic, but would it be plausible to put resin on the cardboard itself, and either use that as a buck, or a base to add more fiberglass to? I've seen people make speaker boxes on door cards with resin over stretched Tshirt fabric; could the cardboard serve the same purpose?

RHK;

Yes, ultimately you could use the cardboard as a base with resin and some mat over it. It will really soak up the resin though and be pretty hard to keep the shape for you while brushing resin and laying mat. Also a lot of sanding rto fill in the bends and dents that cardboard will ultimately leave for your sanding pleasure.

Bob;

Your buck is a simple one so you should not have any problems. I do a lot of the molding with expanding foam as my hapes tend to be a bit more complex but your buck mockup is pretty square so I say go with Murci-Me's suggestion of mdf and sealing that. I actually use spray varathane to seal my mdf bucks that I have used and it works well also without the primer gun setup and cleaning. Still lots of sanding as everyone says and make sure you round the corners. On my mdf, I use a router with a rounding bit to do a lot of the rounding to start and sand to shape by block and hand afterward before sealing.

I also recommend that when you mold the final buck, add in a couple dams on your mold so you can pull one or two sides off to facilitate the removal of the final part. Even though it will all be pretty straight, having removable mold pieces really simplifies the parting process.

Good luck and have fun
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Thanx guys...I'll keep you informed on how it turns out.

Bob