Thread: How to find that elusive short in your harness

How to find that elusive short in your harness

Hey guys (and gals... maybe). Read this somewhere before, and kind of forgot, but important to pass on.

Scenario goes like this... Had a short somewhere in the radio circuit of my TR. Was like this for some time, so went to trouble shoot to permanently fix the intermittent short. Installed a red (10A) fuse, and popped instantly on turning the key. "Great!", I thought, it was permanently shorted. Installed another 10A fuse, this time it was a cheapo from Harbor (or Harbour for you UK guys) Freight. Found the short really quickly after turning the key on, smoke started pouring out from under the dash. AAAAHHHHH!!!!! I disconnected the + battery cable and prayed to our good lord in heaven I didn't smoke the DVD/NAV somehow.
    Took the guages in the center console and deck out to inspect the damage, and sure enough it was an indicator lamp. Since the dash is aluminum, it grounded to the alum. frame and shorted, making this a particularly tough shoot. No wonder I couldn't find it. Charred wire right at the power for the indicator lamp on the dash. Now, tracing back further, I determined the wire was melted all the way back to the fuse panel. HUH!?!?! How could that happen???? Took out the "10 AMP" H.F. fuse and it was totally melted, but the fusable portion (little hoop in the middle) was still intact!!!!!!

So... I guess you can say if you want to find a short in your car quickly, install a fuse from Harbor Freight! Just make sure and roll down the windows if you plan to trouble shoot this while you drive, it makes quite a stink. Eric

Re: How to find that elusive short in your harness

It must have been one of those HF fuses that are guaranteed for life never to burn out!

I keep a circuit breaker handy for just such occasions when I am asked to find shorts-to-ground.

I resets by itself and you only need to buy one fuse.
    Leave it in the system for a few minutes and you can actually feel the warm wire when it has shorted to ground.
    I have seen a truck cab melt to the frame because of a bad fuse like yours. The melting wire set everything else on fire.

Jim

Jim,
    Thank you, mr. dinner for the great idea. I will go out to the yard next week and have to pick some extras up. Thats a great plan, especially for shooting a tough problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    It must have been one of those HF fuses that are guaranteed for life never to burn out!
    lmao......