Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My v6 fiero drinks gas like crazy Why???? Help

My v6 fiero drinks gas like crazy Why???? Help

Just pass smog thank god, but the drive from San Diego to Riverside took over a half tank of gas what the hell.

What do you think it can be?
    Engine tuned up done.
    computer chip OEM
    the motor is stock.

any ideas?
    Thanks

Re: My v6 fiero drinks gas like crazy Why???? Help

change spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter and that should eliminate the prob

could be that the fiero has a tiny gas tank so it has limited range.

Quote Originally Posted by mo
    Just pass smog thank god, but the drive from San Diego to Riverside took over a half tank of gas what the hell.

What do you think it can be?
    Engine tuned up done.
    computer chip OEM
    the motor is stock.

any ideas?
    Thanks
    Good call Twilight Z, most Fiero's only have a 10 gallon tank. Even at 18mpg, a half tank would only get you 90 miles or so if lucky. If you have an auto trans (3 speed), the engine is reving pretty high at 65mph, so forget about the 18mpg! The Fiero fuel gauges are not the most accurate either. It may say you have half a tank, when in reality you may have more, or less. Best thing is to calculate your mpg. Fill the tank, drive a known distance (mileage), then see how many gallons it takes to re-fill the tank. Divide the miles by the gallons, and you'll have your answer. Remember, stopping for gas in these cars is a GOOD thing, especially when the car looks as good as yours. I'm shure you know what I mean
    If you passed smog, you cant be running rich, so its not the engine. Tune ups will help, but not really a noticeable difference (besides, you said it had a tune-up, so they probably changed the plugs and all that anyway). If you're looking for MPG, drive 55. ;D
    Without talent experience is worthless

My buddy had a dog that drank gas once! He put a little in a dish, the dog sniffed it, then lapped a little up! He started running crazy around the yard for about 1 1/2 minutes, then suddenly stopped, and keeled over! He was a small dog, I couldn't believe it!
    Without talent experience is worthless

You might try replacing the O2 sensor; they're only $20 on those cars.

And average V6 Fiero only goes about 150-175 miles between full and empty. Also the gauges read kinda screwy on a Fiero. When you are between 3/4 and a 1/2 tank if you slam on the brakes or take a tight turn it will go up to full or down to empty and back up.

So I am not sure your Fiero is really drinking tons of gas. I would fill the tank and then drive it around for about 80 miles refill the tank and check the gas mileage.

Murci-me, I've heard that story. When the listener asks "what happened?", the story teller says "he ran out of gas"

We need to more about your Fiero (engine, transmission) and what gas millage are you getting. I cannot quantify what "drinks gas like crazy" means. My V6 manual was getting 17MPG while running perfectly. I noticed that is was running very cool. It turns out that my thermostat went out and stuck open. This caused the car to run in open loop (aka not using the O2 sensor). I replaced the thermostat and the next fill up, I was getting 22MPG.

Wow you guys are the best.

[size=10pt]1987 Gt Fiero V6 2.8L manual 5 speed[/size]
    I replaced ox sensor, i running a 191 stat for cooling, it sounds like it is running normal because i drove from San Diego to the 91 HWY corona and it used 1/2 tank or a little more and it looks like 90 miles or so.