Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F355 Front Grille

F355 Front Grille

Has anyone tried to make an F355 front Grille? It looks pretty simple. I don't want to spend the mondy on it, and I think I can fab it out of aluminum pretty easy if someone can give me the measurements of the grid size. Is there a replica grille that is already available without having to fab it?

Re: F355 Front Grille

Talk to Glenn I think he has plans for the grille user "Ferrari Berlinetta"

Quote Originally Posted by lovef501
    Talk to Glenn I think he has plans for the grille user "Ferrari Berlinetta"
    He seems to have the answer for everything! He is giving Dave a run for his money.

Quote Originally Posted by lovef501
    WOW!! That is awesome!! That looks really good. I think the bend part will be the hardest thing. Now... if I only had a machine shop....

Tobygaff;

You don't need a machine shop to do the curves.

What I originally planned on doing and have done in the past on other projects.

Take a 1/2 piece of plywood and lay it on your garage floor. Take a string 12' long and secure it to the floor 11.5' away from your plywood piece so that the 12' point is sitting somewhere on the plywood piece. Put a pencil or felt or pen at the 12' point of the stretched string and draw your curve for about 3'-4' total.

Cut the plywood along the curve. Screw this plywood piece to another plywood piece so that the lower piece sticks out last the curved one by several inches in the middle and many inches on each side. Mark the relative centre of the curve on the plywood as you will use this in your next step.

Get several clamps and your 1/4" x 1" aluminum flat stock and cut to the general dimensions of the lengths you see in Glenn's drawing above. Mark a relative centre on each of the flat bars. Clamp your flat bar at the centre point of the curve and the centre point of the flat bar. I imagine you can see where I am going with this now.....

You can heat up the flat bar is you wish but aluminum should bend fairly easily regardless. Take each end of the flat bar and lightly clamp the flat bar ends to your plywood template. Don't tighten it too hard that you can't move the bar but tight enough that it won't twist on you. Actually, I plan to use a piece of 2x2 with clamps on each end with a consistent gap so the flat bar will move without having to reposition the clamp all the time.

Take long wood clamps or ratchet clamps and start pulling the ends in toward the curved template. Takes a while and a little heating with a propane torch helps but you can get the curve you need pretty darn easy without a machine shop. Let the bar sit in this position for awhile so that it does not rebound back when you take the clamps off.

You can do this next step before or after you have done all the bending, really doesn't matter. Go buy a 1/8" curve router bit. You are about to ruin the bit by teh time you are done so don't get a real expensive one. Mount the router on a router table if you have one or clamp it into your vice securely if you don't so you can run the flat bar along the router bit to get your curved front edge. Do each bar both sides and then clean up the edges with sandpaper to smooth it all over.

To get the mating grooves in both the bars and the uprights, you can use your router with some guides or you can cut them with a blade and file out the centre portions.

At this point you can drill and tap the holes or you can go get someone to tack weld the bars together.

You now have one fully built Ferrari 355 grill using tools most of us have in the garage.

Having said all that, I plan to use my mini mill to do most of the work on mine.......

Simple drawing of the template and process attached.

Cheers and good luck
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

bud consider this:rather than the work-pain-hassle of doing all this ,why not simply consider getting a new front lower grill from a new peaugot 407 vac moulded in abs its the right shape -trim it to fit your appeture-the right look,will fit in no time,will never rust,wont need painting and cost about 40 pounds in the uk,
    my sons got a genuine one on his exact 355 replica,please check out his build here:
    www.my355replicabuild.co.uk

all i can say is its a part you hardly ever look at ,is it really worth the hassle???i wish you luck jon

Quote Originally Posted by alpina-ferrari
    bud consider this:rather than the work-pain-hassle of doing all this ,why not simply consider getting a new front lower grill from a new peaugot 407 vac moulded in abs its the right shape -trim it to fit your appeture-the right look,will fit in no time,will never rust,wont need painting and cost about 40 pounds in the uk,
    my sons got a genuine one on his exact 355 replica,please check out his build here:
    www.my355replicabuild.co.uk

all i can say is its a part you hardly ever look at ,is it really worth the hassle???i wish you luck jon
    We don't have Peugot's here in the states. (rarely) I had no idea that grille was even close. I will look into it. Thanks for the info.

Toby:

I saw a used on at TRutlands for $300.

You might be ablae to locate one for less if you ask around a little.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Toby,
    If you use the plans found on the previous link, tell the machine shop to skip all the holes for the screws and just take them to a welder for a spot weld. You still will need the center ones for the emblem though. The cost to drill and tap the holes will be higher then the welding. I have a bent up original and to be honest the solid alum. one was much better!