Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: automatic door openers

automatic door openers

Alright i need to know how automatic door openers work and are they difficult to install myself or will i need pro installation??

Re:automatic door openers

Are you talkinga bout "Poppers"?

They are really pretty easy to install. I plan on using them in my car. Pops the door open so you can pull it the rest of the way. Keep everything pretty clean

Check out JC Whitney for information on these things.

DKOV -

When I installed mine, I found I didn't need the poppers, just the door-open release (solenoid) .
    When the door release is activated, the door 'pops' open about an inch. Save yourself the $30.
    Sandy

ok but could someone please inform me how the keyless entry works?

Ok, here goes. First, I have a 10 channel, 4 button remote. I can lock/unlock, open each door, open trunk, open hood, set alarm, etc. To open a door with your remote, the remote brain will activate a relay giving 12 volts to a solenoid mounted in your door to pull on the door release mechanism/lever. I have found that there is enough 'pressure' from the window seal to 'pop' the door open an inch or so, and I didn't need the door sprung with 'door-poppers'!
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by cowans
    Ok, here goes. First, I have a 10 channel, 4 button remote.... I
    Who makes the remote you use? How is the transmitting distance?

Tim P.

the best route is to install just the door solenoids to pull the handle (like if you did it manualy). and have it wired into one of the output channels of a high end car alarm ( would we really use a cheep one on our babys? ) So the distance really depends on what the range is on your alarm, mine has a window tape antenna so I get killer range. I liked the poppers since my doors are a tad bit on the heavy side with all the extra fiberglass and speakers, but before all that the window did a fine job of pushing it out. the wiring up is actually really simple, the 12V relay is straight forward, and the alarm will only require one wire out, the tough part normaly is lining up the solenoid, and getting it inside the door. I lucked out and already had one installed on the car and its a latch opener it replaced the stock fiero latch with an electric one ( I dont have any handles on the outside) Alarm is the way to go though, unless you want 12 remotes hanging from your keys once you go wild and get auto start, paging, and all those other fun protective toys. good luck and feel free to mail me if you run into any problems.
    heres a page on them in lambos http://lambolounge.com/Body/Door/doo...r-solenoid.htm
    and its front page link http://lambolounge.com/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteVision
    Quote Originally Posted by cowans
    Ok, here goes. First, I have a 10 channel, 4 button remote.... I
    Who makes the remote you use? How is the transmitting distance?

Tim P.
    Tim, I purchased my 10 channel from VPA. The wiring colors used are the same as most (DEI etc.)... makes it easy to mix & match, add voice etc. They have a 'slave' alarm as well so you don't have to purchase 16 remotes!
    here's their links...
    http://power98.net/remotecontrol/
    http://www.auto-accessories.com/main.html
    transmitting distance is about 50 yds, max!
    Sandy

hmm I had a few Q's since it has been brought up...

Some alarms have safety features that prevent the accidental opening of a door while the iginition is on, right? Not that I've ever done it, but I would hate to accidentally open my doors at 60 mph, especially if they rotate up.

A window tape antenna? That's pretty cool, I will look into that...

More links to try:
    http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/custom_cars.html
    http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by Filip
    hmm I had a few Q's since it has been brought up...

Some alarms have safety features that prevent the accidental opening of a door while the iginition is on, right? Not that I've ever done it, but I would hate to accidentally open my doors at 60 mph, especially if they rotate up.
    Actually, once the ignition is turned ON, your alarm/remote brain will not work/activate any of it's functions except possible setup functions!
    Sandy