Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recessing wing badges

recessing wing badges

On my 355 i plan to recess the wing shields. I got the ebay metal shields which are not that thick, but i still think a recess will make them look better.

I am thinking about the best way to do it ?

My thoughts were

1. Cut out a section of the wing ( badge shape ),recess this section, bond then fill the edges.

2. With a high speed hobby dril - dremel / die grinder remove a few mm from/ through the gel coat.( area of the badge) Only the outside edges would need to be neat since the centre section will be hidden by the badge. But then likely to go through to the fibreglass matting ....

Any one done anything similiar on there car ? Any suggestions ?

thanks. Nick.

Re: recessing wing badges

add extra fibreglass on the back of where you're going to grind. leave it a few days to cure then grind it down with a dremel tool like you said. very simple job to do

I have been thinking about the same thing. The plan in my head was to make up a dup badge smaller than the original to use as a guide and attach it to the fender with a spacer between the dup badge and the fender. By using a router with a round type bit, run it around the dup badge you made. The dup badge will need to be spaced away from the fender slightly so that the shaft of the router bit runs against the dup badge and doesn’t cut into it. You should end up with a nice clean rounded step. You could then finish the center area with a flat router bit to achieve the depth you want. Add a little spot putty to further smooth the edge. As DAZM1050 mentioned. Also add some more fiberglass to the rear of the fender before you start equal or greater to the depth you need to achieve for the badge. 3M also makes there double stick tape in sheets for installing the badge.

you have a wing on your 355? I know the F-40 guys deal with this, you might contact mkbrnch on this forum, I know he has experience getting the 'F-40' in the wing of his car. The 430 has a recessed area in the mirrors, maybe someone has an idea here that will do that eas6l4y.

thanks for replies guys.

Ahh... wing, i think we have a UK <> US translation error. As in the front wing, the panel between the bonnet ( hood ? ) and the front bumper The one where the orange front indicator / repeater is mounted.
    Is this the fender (US) ?

(430 version, but same principle: http://www.flickr.com/photos/inno68/3455963429/ )

On OEM 355 they were actually different panels for the metal wing badges with a built in recess.

Reference grinding, i'm, not sure on the exact gel coat thickness, so although yes you can re-inforce the wing from the underside - i wasnt too keen to expose the matting where potentialy it can start to wick up moisture. Maybe ? if primed promptly then this wont happen.

MacGyver, i think i see what your saying - but wasnt sure how you dealt with the curve of the wing when running the router round the badge shape ? Or is it because you curve your 'pattern' badge which the router follows ?

I do not know how think the gel coat is on your car, but on the AD355, the gel coat is crazy thick and grinding for the side badges would be no issue. Given the same situation, I went with the stickers.

Would it work to make a metal shield out of like 3/16 steel that went around the outside of the other badge, and using it as a template to sandblast down to the appropriate thickness? With a sand blaster you could just do one pass at a time until you get down to the right thickness.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    I have been thinking about the same thing. The plan in my head was to make up a dup badge smaller than the original to use as a guide and attach it to the fender with a spacer between the dup badge and the fender. By using a router with a round type bit, run it around the dup badge you made. The dup badge will need to be spaced away from the fender slightly so that the shaft of the router bit runs against the dup badge and doesn’t cut into it. You should end up with a nice clean rounded step. You could then finish the center area with a flat router bit to achieve the depth you want. Add a little spot putty to further smooth the edge. As DAZM1050 mentioned. Also add some more fiberglass to the rear of the fender before you start equal or greater to the depth you need to achieve for the badge. 3M also makes there double stick tape in sheets for installing the badge.
    its pretty easy

In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Quote Originally Posted by tobygaff
    Would it work to make a metal shield out of like 3/16 steel that went around the outside of the other badge, and using it as a template to sandblast down to the appropriate thickness? With a sand blaster you could just do one pass at a time until you get down to the right thickness.
    Hey, i like this idea . thanks

Yes, the templete would follow the curve of the badge/fender. Just a simple piece of sheetmetal with a piece of wood or plastic between the templete and the fender to act as a spacer so the router but doesn't cut into it. A little finishing putty when your done such as glaze coat to make it perfect. The router runs at high speed so it leaves a very smooth surface.

Quote Originally Posted by nick200
    thanks for replies guys.

Ahh... wing, i think we have a UK <> US translation error. As in the front wing, the panel between the bonnet ( hood ? ) and the front bumper The one where the orange front indicator / repeater is mounted.
    Is this the fender (US) ?

(430 version, but same principle: http://www.flickr.com/photos/inno68/3455963429/ )

On OEM 355 they were actually different panels for the metal wing badges with a built in recess.

Reference grinding, i'm, not sure on the exact gel coat thickness, so although yes you can re-inforce the wing from the underside - i wasnt too keen to expose the matting where potentialy it can start to wick up moisture. Maybe ? if primed promptly then this wont happen.

MacGyver, i think i see what your saying - but wasnt sure how you dealt with the curve of the wing when running the router round the badge shape ? Or is it because you curve your 'pattern' badge which the router follows ?