Thread: best exhaust set up sound?

best exhaust set up sound?

i was wondering whats the loudest sound i can get out of a new rebuilt stock fiero v6 2.8 engine? i dont really care if it sounds like a real supercar. but i do want it as loud as possible with the engine i have. i dont want to super charge my engine due to over heating and i cant remove the cat converter or i cant pass emissions testing here in my state. so im looking for a new exhaust set up with a top of the line exhaust or even adding glass packs on the exhaust. as for glasspacks/cherry bombs is using one or two make any differences on a v6 engine? or just a bigger one rather than a smaller one make a difference on the v6? or do anyone know of a very good loud exhaust that i can buy for my 2.8 v6 engine set up? theres so many i see in the magazines and online such as borla, etc. but i dont know anything about them. any suggetions? i dont know anything at all about these engine/ exhaust set ups. so im asking here to see if anyone has expierence in exhuast set ups and sounds. thanks for any info. ???

Re: best exhaust set up sound?

We ran a Fiero without a muffler for a while. It was loud, but not terribly so. The side exhaust does make it a little louder, but not much.

Likely glass packs, or any straight through muffler, would be loudest. But, since you've already got a cat, I'd try it with no muffler(s).

Or, you could by the cheapest standard muffler that would physically fit, then tear out the insides with a piece of rebar. Further, you could just weld in a staight tube to bypass the expansion chamber entirely. The advantage here would be that you would LOOK like you were running muffled, but not be.

Kinda' like that.

Forrest

how about that thing that they make which cuts off the cat convertor with a button. then when the buttons pressed again it comes back on. i heard that kind of thing over heats, and i dont know if that will pass emissions testing. did anyone else know anything about that kind of device?

get hi flow headers or port the stock ones.get the hi flow cross over pipe(if they still make them). buy a new 3 inch hi flow cat(3" inlet with two 2 1/4 outlets).get two resonator tips of your liking and take it all to the muffler shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Z
    get hi flow headers or port the stock ones.get the hi flow cross over pipe(if they still make them). buy a new 3 inch hi flow cat(3" inlet with two 2 1/4 outlets).get two resonator tips of your liking and take it all to the muffler shop.
    Thats exactly what you do to make it considerably louder.. Another similar option to that is make what I have.. I have headers and a cross over pipe with a single 3" pipe running off the header collector to a high flow cat thats running down under the trunk and out the back to a twin resonator tip.. I have a thin sheet metal heat sheild mounted under the trunk and even after 200+ mile trips stuffed full of suitcases there is very little heat inside the trunk.... Its very very very loud..