Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mera type ferrari 308 body kit advice re changes

Mera type ferrari 308 body kit advice re changes

hi,

I have a SPM 286 body kit on a fiero , I beleived based on the mera. I want to take off the louvres and replace with either original 308 sail panel window and grill or a made up one , has anyone done this or altered using other bits to help kit look lioke the GTb instead of a GTS style? if anyone has done it have they got photos?

Re: Mera type ferrari 308 body kit advice re changes

I rember one of the members of the forum has done this to his 308 replica, but I cant find the thread or the pictures though..

I rember it looked very nice and he did a great job on the rear 1/4 windows.. Sorry I can't find the thread..

Thanks , anyone any idea which thread has the alterations on, or who did it?

This is what I found so far..

Quote Originally Posted by goyal99
    Quote Originally Posted by ksteak

User ksteak has this nice 308 replica (photo above) for sale and he has an authentic looking quarter window treatment like the real 308GTB, so obviously it can be done to any 308 replica as well....He needs to tell us how he did it!

VK

brilliant any other ideas

Quote Originally Posted by John Jo
    brilliant any other ideas
    Sorry.. I know another forum member did the work, but he did not tell how he did it..

I am sure that is the look you are after though..

I asked my local glass shop about cutting a framing GTB style windows for my kit 308 and they said they couldn't do it even though they advertise custom work. In the mean I've cut Plexiglas to fit and set them aside for a winter project and I have also stashed fiero doors with the windows. I hope to find someone to cut and frame the fiero windows with the curved glass to match the glass in the doors. I'm still undecided on whether to tint the whole window or just the half covering the roof pillar.

in Germany last year i saw this one [img][/img]

Quote Originally Posted by 328 mera
    in Germany last year i saw this one [img][/img]

how can i upload Pics?

I'm one of the ones doing some mods to the sail panel windows. I too am trying "to create a better GTB".

I can tell you this:

OEM Ferrari Sail panel glass is a different shape and will not fit. Real 308 Sail panel glass is "recessed" in further than you can do with the Fiero due to the roof support design of the B-pillar. I don't have any pics as of yet, but what i'm doing is:

Cutting out a portion of the B-Pillar (I think there is a thread either here or on Pennocks with a picture that I took). After "cutting out the "hump" in the B-pillar and reinforcing it, it will then allow a "side window" to be set back just a bit further AND it also allows a larger window that you can place closer to the door window.

One of the "goofy things" about doing a GTB side glass is the fact that the B-pillar is so darn "fat" that the distance between the 2 windows makes it look kind of "odd" (at least to me). The only "fix" for this is painting 1/2 that area body color like the red car above. (This is a good idea by the way but it looks odd in person. The GTB has a very thin "line" between the 2 windows and this is what I'm trying to do. Cutting and reinforcing JUST THE OUTER PORTION of the B-pillar can make a big difference.

The metal for the pillar is kind of like a "Ladder" or a Letter "H". It's 2 sections (inside and outside metal) with a "zig-zag" kind of metal in the center. Hard to explain but I'm pretty sure I drew a crude diagram in my Pennocks post. I'll take a look for it.

For the glass. I too found that trying to get something Tempered like real side glass may be pretty much impossible or at the very least not cost effective. However there are some companies that can make custom LAMINATED glass like a windshield. Again - pretty pricey.

Right now. After trying lots of side glass from about 15 cars. (Including some small door glass from 4 door sedans etc. I"m pretty sure that there is nothing out there that would look really "correct enough".

I've purchased a high quality Lexan (almost 1/2" thick / crystal clear / outdoor use / U.V inhibitors etc.

Don from the forum here was nice enough to make me some of the replica GTS fake side louvers that I was going to cut out to form the small GTB Louvers and then an opening for the "glass". However, the large area between the door glass and sail panel glass just looks too weird so I've scrapped that idea.

I've had some custom louver "slats" made for my real hood vent and real vents behind some custom pop up headlight covers (that look very similar to the real car) - (There is a post here with some pics that I did. Titled something like "real hood vents for my GTB or something like that).

I've been finishing up the V8 and Getrag and the exhaust and custom interior so I put the glass on hold for a bit , but I'll be doing a build thread on it as I continue with it in the next several months.

In my mind, cutting and re-welding the B-pillar is the only way to make (again ...for me) the side glass look close to the real GTB. I do like the few that I've seen on the forum but I don't think they look close enough for me. I'd rather have the fake vents rather than a strange looking side glass...

Hope that info helps a bit.

EDIT:

Here is the B-pillar thread:

http://www.madmechanics.com/technica...iero-b-pillar/

And here is the Hood Vent thread (just in case you have an interest) - We "Old School" 308 guys have to stick together.

http://www.madmechanics.com/technica...nts-on-my-308/
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.