Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel adapter help

Wheel adapter help

Ok, I am in a big dilemma :-/. I did the measuring on my f355 spyder with the tires on. From the tire to the tirewell on the pasenger rear side it is 3 7/8" from the tire to the tirewell in order to make the tire flush with the tirewell. The pasenger front is 3 7/8" as well. So I could get a 3 1/2" adapter made for the rear and front pasenger side and have the rime about 1/2" inside. All that is cool and also the front driver side is only 1/4" wider then the other 2, hell I could add a 1/4" spacer to fix that. My problem is the rear driver side. The rear driver side tire is pushed in 6" from the tirewell. I don't think I can get an adapter that wide and even if I could I don't think that would be safe and I would be more affraid to drive the car then enjoy it. Anyone have any suggestions. PLEASE I need help. Thanks

Gerard

Re: Wheel adapter help

Hey Gerard
    I just went through something similar than you so I will tell you what I did and maybe that can help you out.
    1 make sure the car dimensions are correct, meaning that the car was not involve in a big car acident in which they had to weld the back of the car or something major like that.
    2 I am not sure if you mounted the body yourself or if you bought it like that, but check the mounting points on the body in respect to the frame of the car, the points should be symetrical from one side to the other (left and right side) If the points are not symetrical then the body was mounted incorrectly (meaning is further out on the right than the left side)
    3 If the body was mounted that far off , I would not feel very confortable driving the car, so you might have to take the body off and mount it correctly, that is what I had to do > :'( but I will be happy when is all done because I will know the car is sitting correctly and everything will be symetrical.
    I hope some of this helps

Thanks for the advice. I just got done checking the stuff that you had mentioned and unfortunatly it all checked out good . The problem that I have now is that it is an I.F.G. body and that the body was made like that. If I do what you did then the pasanger side would not match and I would have to refiberglass the whole kit.

What most do when found in your situation, is go ahead and use different size spacers on each side. That is the "cheap" solution if you can call it that... spacers are NOT cheap. The other way to deal with it is to go with Held Motorsports' "Wide Track" suspension and get new axles made to get as wide as you can, up to 4 inches on each side. THEN use the spacers on the odd side to make up the rest. At least, it'll take the car a whole lot longer to stress out the wheel bearings with under 2 inches of spacing.

Beyond that, the only other fix is to run a Sawzall right down the center and take a wedge out and seal her back up. That's spendy too, but I know guys that have done it and it looks GREAT.

Best of luck and keep us informed. I'm sure we all want to know how you work it out.

DKOV -

When shopping for wheels 3 yrs ago wheel spacing was a big factor in the selection process. At the time, prices for original f355 wheels were astronomical, therefore, finding wheels with the right combo of style, design, and minimum required wheel spacing was the main goal. The Cromodora wheels in the photos are 8x18 & 10x18, zero dish. Required spacing ( 1" inset from frender to wheel surface ) Front: 1", Rear: 2-3/16". The body is an IFG copy. Front L/R gap is fairly even, however, right-rear has about 3/4" additional runout...very disappointing! Solution: Radical cosmetic surgery to right-rear fender area.

Gerard
    I'm sorry it did not work... but I find it very hard to belive that the body would be off by 6" on one side,that is a lot , I though they were off by maybe 2", maybe SPIDER could give you some pointers since his car is from IFG, good luck w/ that and don't give up

Sounds like the body is not set properly or the stretch is uneven. *I have about a *.25 to .33 difference. *Which is not a big deal to me.

Hay thanks guys for the advice. Once I can figure out how to work this scanner that I just got I will show you pics on what I mean. I thought it was the body being put on wrong. But it isn't. If I center the back then there is a problem with the door sticking out on one side and the other pushed in on the other.

Oh, by the way the 6 in. is how much of a with add on I need to make the tire flush with the tirewell. The other side I need a 3 3/4 in. with add on to make that flush. So technicaly the driver side rear is only 2 1/4 in. wider then the other, not 6 in. wider.

Can you post a photo of each side of your car so we can all see what is happening with regard to your kit?

It might help some of the other people building or who have an IFG kit.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.