Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V drive? what exactly is it?

V drive? what exactly is it?

I've spent about 2-3 days looking on here and google, and cant much info on it.

I saw that the authentic lambos use a transmisiont that goes forward, then back to the rear axle.

Ive heard talk about the "V drive" but no pics or any indepth talk of it.

Also heard talk about the cyclone 1:1 transfer case. Is that the same thing?

Transaxles seem so to far out, I couldnt fathom spending the money if I had it.

Re: V drive? what exactly is it?

If yr talking about the same thing, I saw one of these on an old episode of Monster Garage- they took an ambulance and made it a wheelie car. To do so, weight had to move back as far as possible. Don't remember why they needed v-drive or what it looked like exactly, but basically it was 2 short driveshafts, one pointed down and forward, the other pointed up and to the rear, sort of like a < or >. Used a standard RWD transmission. Either the differential yoke pointed to the rear, or the engine faced the rear of the car. Either way, the driveshaft came out the trans, angled down, into the V Drive housing, then another driveshaft went back out of that in the other direction and down, then went in the differential. Tough to explain, but simple concept - doubt it would accomplish what you're trying to do though, which seems to be 4 wheel drive?

Quote Originally Posted by RHK
    If yr talking about the same thing, I saw one of these on an old episode of Monster Garage- they took an ambulance and made it a wheelie car. To do so, weight had to move back as far as possible. Don't remember why they needed v-drive or what it looked like exactly, but basically it was 2 short driveshafts, one pointed down and forward, the other pointed up and to the rear, sort of like a < or >. Used a standard RWD transmission. Either the differential yoke pointed to the rear, or the engine faced the rear of the car. Either way, the driveshaft came out the trans, angled down, into the V Drive housing, then another driveshaft went back out of that in the other direction and down, then went in the differential. Tough to explain, but simple concept - doubt it would accomplish what you're trying to do though, which seems to be 4 wheel drive?
    Naw I wouldnt want 4 wheel drive, just trying to avoid a transaxle. Rather use a T56 as a tranny. Maybe in a few years the 6l80E price will dropp (some company has it rated for 800lbft and paddle shifts, I cant remeber who but 6.9k )

I remember seeing a Diablo build that used a 1to1 V drive. He mounted the engine
    (ls1) in the rear with a normal style manual trans pointed forward. IIRC he used the V to put the power back to the rear of the car and used a standard rear IRS diff but off set to clear the engine.
    Looked like a rear slick set up and it did work ,he finished the car and drove it.

go over to www.kitcentral.com and research kevkev6.0 nice build just like you are talking about. it has been done for years in the 2wd buggy and 2wd sand drags. The buggy folks use a divorsed transfercase instead of v-drive because of the v-drive whine

Seems like most lambo builders use a Porsche transaxle - I thought the going rate for them was $2500, but I could be wrong. There's a member on here named switta - built a sweet Diablo roadster. I thought he used the Porsche, but I'm not sure.
    If it were me, I'd prefer a transaxle over a trans, driveshaft, differential, axles, etc. Fewer parts to break, and I'd guess more power would make it to the wheels.

EDIT: switta used an Audi trans

just a note on prev , Ive been in the Lambo seen a while now, most uk lambo replicas used a Renault UN1 box but getting rare now, most new builds now using 5 or 6 speed Audi box, havent even seen a porsche box in one

Yeah I was looking at audi trannies and porche trannies, but the cost of getting a it too work seems kinda high. I know if I get one im going to hard on it.

Im going too look into kevkev6.0 build. Is that the same guy with the offset motor? If so thats where this idea realy came from.

T56s > Transaxle cost wise.

Forget top speed, id be scared to take a car I built over 170mph anyway an its illegal on the highway

I just wana run in the mid 10s in 1/4.

EDIT

In all actuallity, I dont know too much about transaxles thats why I wanted to stay away from them.

All the good new transaxles cost 14K that can handle a power level I wanted.

have a look here

http://www.casalev-drive.com/MODELS.html

also look at the landdwellers tab

Try car-part.com to find a transaxle from junkyard.

Basically, all you need is an adapter plate to mate the engine to your transmission. I imagine someone makes them for the more common applications - Audi to Chevy V8 bolt pattern, maybe?
    Other than that it's just making mounts and axles.