Thread: Carbon Fiber Chassis Building

Carbon Fiber Chassis Building

Hi everyone,

I'm new on this forum and I'm searching a lot on kit cars. I would like to build my own chassis/frame with my own plans but I would like to have more info on how I can build a carbon fiber chassis?

Is there any website wich explains clearly how to do this?

Thank you for your help!

Kenny

Re: Carbon Fiber Chassis Building

your brave!
    my advice is this a carbon tub cost 60k to make, youll need an autoclave, it cost that much for a reason
    it is a very special knowledge and not something you can read up on, certainly not on the web
    you have to understand the way the fibres lay and weave and build up layers in differing directions and thicknesses according to the loading they will be on, and carbon fibre is not torsionally stable, so you have to calculate that too and make it torsionally rigid.

good luck

so whats the project idea? can you tell us yet.

Ok I understand.

I dont really have a specific project right now, just aquiring some knowledge on this field.
    I had this idea because I have seen some house made mountain bike or motor bike frame and it seamed easy and really nice. In basic doing a foam core and wrapping carbon fiber around it.
    I tought be able to do the same thing.

Thanks for the advices!

Kenny

You are very very brave! i really wouldnt recommend even thinking about it. it really is a mega expensive process and certainly not viable for a one off car. if you're adamant that you want a carbon chassis i'm sure Tornado Sportscars are now producing their carbon monocoque for their gt40 replicas. no idea what the costs are but as far as i'm aware it's the only sensible option available.

the carbon around foam thing really isnt suitable for a car, i wouldn't even trust a bike like it

like everyone said, if you atempt this you are a brave man, there are different layers in between the carbon, a honycombe structure sandwich between the carbon for added strength, vacuming baging isnt enough for this project, you need a chamber. I used to work for a air plane manufacturing plant here, Diamond Air Craft. unless you have access to one of these machines than your good to go. Plus the knowledge about reading about how to build a carbon chasis isn't going to help you out much. Before you take on this crazy project build one on a smaller scale stress test the sh!t out of it, add reinforcements in to the structure, cross members for load support. best of luck to you!

Ok I understand and I will listen to your advices.