Thread: Passing SMOG in California

Passing SMOG in California

If you have a Replica using a Fiero frame with a LS1 engine is it possible to pass smog in CA? I heard it was not possible to pass smog with an LS1 installed in the Fiero chassis.
    I want to install the LS1 in my Fiero chassis but I also dont want to have to R/R with the stock engine every time I want to pass smog.
    So....How can I get it so I can pass smog with the LS1 in the car? Do I have to have the Computer with the LS1 and sensors and exhausts?

Bryan

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Re: Passing SMOG in California

I am not sure but factory smog pump an catalics convertors is a very good start ,maybe some of the other guys can give some insite
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm

MERCenary has a 3800sc and I think Madcurl has a northstar and they are both in cali. so it can be done just not sure all that needs to go into it.

When it comes time to smog it, send me a copy of your registration, and I'll smog my car under your VIN#!
    Without talent experience is worthless

If you are going to register it as a Special Construction vehicle, you get into some judgement calls by the folks at BAR. The statute allows the owner to decide whether the smog rules apply to the engine OR the body. If you are building say, a Diablo, which was around in the 90's, then you could elect to have the smog rules for a 90's car. The LS1's came out in the early 90's I think, so you could declare that you want the smog rules to apply to the first year the LS1 came out.

The judgement calls come during the physical inspection part of the process. When you are dealing with BAR people, they will probably be strict on the smog equipment. You will need to have everything just as it came in the year you declare - closed fuel system, stock ECU and ALL sensors, switches, and wiring, charcoal cannister, Air pump, catalytic converters, O2 sensors - e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.

These are the reasons most builders start with something with a Vin # already. Now all they have to do is find someone to overlook some of the missing pieces during the biannual smog test.

The only real way to go the Special Construction (SB-100) route is to use a pre-1974 block. You can do whatever you want with the engine - just as long as it is a pre-1974 block and has an EGR valve. In fact, you can buy brand new aluminum small block Fords as well as aluminum side-oiler 427 blocks that have the old casting nos. - no problem for SB-100.

I have registered two this way and have my sequence no. for a third. Lifetime smog exemptions .

Good luck

Murci Me,

What do you mean smog your car under my VIN? Does that work?

What he means is that he knows someone who will look the other way when it comes time do smog your car! I know people that will do this but it is not legal, and they could get fined and loose their license to smog cars in the state of cali.

The best thing to do is like 49 said get a smog legal engine and put all the crap on it and take it to the refs.
    3.8 sc are only legal if you have an automatic, that should not be a problem because MM has designed the paddle shifter for the fiero column. Now if you plan on running another tranny other than the getrag then I don't know what to tell you.

I am using a 3.4L DOHC 91-93 this setup came with a manual trans for those years so therefore it is legal when using the ecm from those years, the engines are great! They are finicky as all getup but when running correctly more than adequate to power a replica.

Now if you want the LS1 all aluminum one just make sure you grab all the smog stuff that goes with it and you should be ok, one small thing, the car has to be ready by Jan 2nd, make sure you fill out ALL your paperwork prior to going to dmv, get your receipts to show where all your major components came from (not stolen) this is what your reg and fees will be based on, be honest because they kinda know that these cars don't cost 10k to build.

If you don't get a sequence number on Jan 2nd you are screwed until the next year, they only give out 500 per year and they are GONE the first 3-4 hours.

Good luck

RunDlc,

What If I dont plan on using the Tube Chassis. If I go with the Fiero chassis and put an LS1 with manual trans in it and all the smog equip will I be Ok that route and not have to get the Sequence on Jan2?
    Bryan

That is correct, no sequence needed. You would just have to go the the referee's for the engine conversion , they would do a visual inspection for the year engine that you chose. After that they would attach a bar sticker so that when you go to your bi-annual smog cert the tech would know how to smog the car.

My dealing with the state to get my kit car registered has not been bad. I have always been honest and set up the cars correctly with the smog stuff need. Using a tube chassis has one more step. You need to get the car inspected by the CHP. Make an appointment and have them check it out. Mostly, they want to make sure that the lights work and that there is nothing obvious wrong (<cough> like welding a stack of washers to make an A-Arm <cough>). Then they will assign you a VIN. We usually here the horror stories about dealing with the state because the cars that go though correctly are not news. Before I register my first kit, I spent some time at the DMV and worked with the BAR and CHP. State employees are not bad people out to get us. They are working a job. They have experience built on what they see most (not kits car) and when in doubt, they will say no. Another thing to think about is that they deal with the "public" all day long. This is soul crushing work. Be nice, courteous, factually correct and have lots of documentation. Do not yell or get angry. This will put them off. Keep asking what you need to do. Then do it and go back. I had an error on my title and I tried to get it fixed. It took me more than 10 tries. I kept making appointments and seeing different people until I found someone who could make the change. Persistence will always beat a bureaucracy.