Thread: 4G63T Fiero Swap

4G63T Fiero Swap

While I have pretty much accepted the reality of the 3800 supercharged as my only relatively easy and well-documented swap for really good forced induction potential, all of my past cars have been 4G63T powered. My EVO set the stock internals power record at 599whp and 465wtq at 30psi on C16 with just a set of ARP head studs and ARP rod bolts holding it together a little better about 4 years ago. Nowadays that power is practically normality on the EVO forums for daily driven cars. The claimed horsepower record with a 3800SC motor that I found on ClubGP was ~630whp turbocharged. For my Vendetta I'd really like a daily drivable 600whp on E85, and I'm just not sure that it's possible on the 3800SC, turbocharged, even with all of the best stuff that community has to offer for aftermarket parts and tuning. The shop I worked at previously (ETS) built the turbo kit, intercooler and exhaust on an 1117whp EVO, a power figure I saw put down on the dyno in person, and nearly 1200whp has been made by AMS with their drag EVO.

Bottom line question now that you have the background of my thoughts on the powerplant for the car is, how much more work than a 3800SC swap are we talking about to connect the interior harness to an EVO engine harness, fabricate mounts and have axles built? Maybe I'm missing something that would significantly increase the cost and PITA factor of this swap, but I'm seriously considering it given my experience tuning this motor. Thoughts?

Tom

Re: 4G63T Fiero Swap

It's possible, but not practical. Your talking about a budget of ATLEAST 10K+ engine,tranny, axle, electronics swap. I have an EVO 8 putting down 571. Its good, but the engine has to be disassembled every 4-6 months to make sure everything is in working order which is another 2K. You'd be better off you modding the stock engine. With big power comes even bigger responsiblitly... You'd be better off trying to catch a 996 turbo at a good rate on ebay...

Practicality is my concern, but unless you're campaigning a race car, why would you be tearing the motor down every 2,000 miles? I understand early oil changes and all, but that seems REALLY extreme for a street car, especially one powered by a 4G63....which we both know is the greatest motor ever produced

Tom

Well its my everyday car/track car, so its more like 6-8K hard miles... and when youre putting down close to 700HP at the crank you have to check it for leaks burned/melted pistons, etc... sure its a great motor but When your forcing it to perform way more than its supposed to you have. Plus if your going to put all that power in a kit car using fiberglass you risk body cracking from all the chassis flex from the power...

I don't think this thread is really going in the direction I'd hoped. I did get an E-mail from JVD, but after driving his orange abomination and seeing MURCenary's pictures, I think he might be the last person I'd go to for tips on putting a 4G63T in the Vendetta :-[

Tom

sounds like you have alot of experience with the 4G so I would stick with it. Also you can use their gearboxs which are cheaper then the porsche ones