Thread: any idea how to make this part

any idea how to make this part

hi i need an advise on how to make this lover bumper spoiler lip, i am planning to wrap it in CF, i was thinking to use a rear spoiler and cut it and put it together but its not going to look good, any ideas

Re: any idea how to make this part

Make the thing out of foam. I would use Last A foam or the kind you can hot wire. Not sure how you would wrap it and hide the seams though.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

I would start in the middle make the main piece then make a pattern for one of the diffusor sails our of foam then cut the rest to match ,on the top side cut 5-6 pieces of 3/4 flat iron about 6-7 inches long an weld a 3/16 stud at both ends of the flat bar ,now PUT THE METAL ON TOP AN sandwich the piece with fiberglass cloth ALL THE WAY AROUND ,add resin when it dries your studs will be on THE top edge to screw to the lower side of the bumper ,work the two corners last ,getting your angle cuts to match on both sides an you are finished PLEASE POST PICTURES
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Does the part resemble this with the fins below? If so, and you are going to be doing cf I would make a wooden form and finish it just like a car less the paint. Get it slick, then use that as your as your vacuum caul. Lay a couple thickness of c/f, then a layer of the air cell foam, more carbon or glass for than matter. Use one thicker piece of foam in the middle of the sandwich and reverse the layup for your final thickness. This is of course after you have wet the sandwich out with resin. Lay a vacuum bag over, seal and pull vacuum.

I did forget to mention that you need to place ribs on the surface of the caul where you want the final ribs to be positioned in the part, and these ribs need to be finished right along with the caul. Once the part is cured and you take it out, you will find a part like you see except it will have grooves in it for you to fit your ribs to. You can make your ribs using the same process. Cut them to fit, glue them in and finish.

Do you plan to keep the c/f showing or paint?

Mike

Yeah if I were you I would make it out of a few materials, depending how intricate the part is I would use some ľ or Ĺ inch MDF wood for the main air foils (depending how thick you want them) and then use dense foam for the rest that can be shaped and contoured.

Once you have a final positive part, then make a heavy mold of both sides for the top and bottom. This mold would then be used to make you final part, whether its out of fiberglass or carbon fiber.

This is what we are doing for our rear diffuser, I would vacuum infuse the whole part if at all possible. You may want to read up on using vacuum infusion bagging for molds. Itís really the best way if you want to make a strong light weight part.
    - Neal Bailey<br />- www.BaileySpeed.com

Quote Originally Posted by ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER
    I would start in the middle make the main piece then make a pattern for one of the diffusor sails our of foam then cut the rest to match ,on the top side cut 5-6 pieces of 3/4 flat iron about 6-7 inches long an weld a 3/16 stud at both ends of the flat bar ,now PUT THE METAL ON TOP AN sandwich the piece with fiberglass cloth ALL THE WAY AROUND ,add resin when it dries your studs will be on THE top edge to screw to the lower side of the bumper ,work the two corners last ,getting your angle cuts to match on both sides an you are finished PLEASE POST PICTURES
    WTF? ???

Make the whole thing out of high density foam. Carve it to the shape you want, finish it as if it were the actual part, then pull a "aerospace quality mould" (see "Hughes"). You can actually wrap the buck in CF if you want to save time and $.
    Without talent experience is worthless

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MURCI-ME
    Quote Originally Posted by ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER
    WTF? ???

Make the whole thing out of high density foam. Carve it to the shape you want, finish it as if it were the actual part, then pull a "aerospace quality mould" (see "Hughes"). You can actually wrap the buck in CF if you want to save time and $.
    maybe some these EM guys can make it for you
    :
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

thanks guys, i am starting to make sertain parts for my car, thanks