Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shelby gt500 scratch built???????

shelby gt500 scratch built???????

hello my name is graham i am new on here i have been doing plans for a custom chassis but i couldnt get the body i wanted until i looked into the mustang fastback gt500 the money they want is far away from my buget so i have priced up the aluminum i need to make a compleat body and that well in my budget so i would like to ask for all your comments on this project dose anyone know where i can get a break down plans for the mustang i have all measurements i would just like to see a picture of the body shell in a blue print type off format

i know that this is not a common kit car so i hope you will allow this on here as i think the car a work of art just like all the work on here

thankyou

Re: shelby gt500 scratch built???????

Quite an adventurous endevor my friend. Why not just start out with a body from these folks and turn it into a GT500 with parts available from other sources. I have used these bodies for race cars, they are pretty nice.

http://www.usbody.com/

Bart

thanks for your help mate ive had a quike look at the web site they have a lot of good stuff for racing i dont why i just fancy building somethings diffrent it not that expensive to buy the materials it just the time if i can do the shell in 12 months i would be happy am not going to start till after xmas try to save and do some home work

Good luck, you must be quite the metalworker. That is a lot of english wheel and planishing hammer time. I've fabricated a lot of stuff and I would not jump on that one. I wish you all the success, keep us informed on how things are going.

why not at the very least start with this: http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/ford_models.html or buy an old msutang fastback that is not a shelby and convert it with parts from: http://www.cobranda.com/fiberglass7.html just a thought save you some time and in the long run probably some money too...

I would say buy a good solid Coupe and make it into a Fastback. Then you coild buy the GT500 fiberglass parts to finish it.

converting a coupe to a fastback is a lot more intense than it sounds....pretty much everything peice of sheet metal except the front fenders, hood, front facia, headlight buckets, and vent panel are differnt from one car to the other.

wow all your answers are fantastic ive taken them on board it is a lot of work the links you sent you sent are brilliant the bodyshell are just what am after i think they have to be one of the coolest classic shape in the modern world its not an aged look it just get better i live in the uk and mustangs go for about 10,000 to 50,000 a bit to much to spend i can buy the sheet metal for the body and the tubing for the chassis for around 3,000 with a bit off welding and hammering ill will be done in no time hahahahaha

Take a look at MustangsPlus.com or MustangDepot. They reproduce virtually every panel on a vintage Mustang. You can buy a complete Fiberglass front end for about $500 - IIRC, it includes a one piece hood, fenders and front bumper. Then buy quarters, doorskins, a rear valence and trunk, and find a suitable donor to mount the parts on, and you've got a kit on your hands...

Converting a coupe to a fastback wouldn't be a challenge, but finding the parts would be. You'd absolutely have to find a rear clip from a fastback, cut at the windshield posts and through the floorpan. I've seen them on Ebay from time to time. I don't know if the doors are different, but the door glass is.

Converting a 67-68 Coupe to a FB is not easy but the parts are as easy as a phone call to get (the doors are the same BTW but the glass is different). There is a place in Arizona that sells a converted Coupe shell for $9k.