Thread: Speedo and tach questions

Speedo and tach questions

All the guages in my newly aquired F40 are Veglia Borletti, except the speedo and tach. These have VB overlays on them, but are actually Autometer. On the tach, where does the sender wire go on the 2.8 V6. Please, and an answer for a dummy would be appreciated! Also the speedo(120 mph) is electronic, and has a couple of connections I am unsure of. One marked SQ, and one marked SINE. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! Steve

Re: Speedo and tach questions

get tach signal from the coil. The SQ would generaly mean digital signal ie one coming from PCM and SINE means analog. what are the models of those 2 Autometer guages? Jump onto their website and looup for manual on those gueages

The tach is a Street Rod Designer Black 1493 (nothing in the catalogue, but like a 1498) The Speedo is a 1488, but Autometer won't take questions from Hotmail accts, so I can't get specifics from them. The only info on their website about tach hookup is for a 2.5 motor.

Have now found technical help on wiring from a guy at Jegs- extremely helpful! However, am looking at my coil to hook up the tach sender wire, and nothing is marked, and there are no spade connectors to hook onto. Just two connectors; rear is gray (two pins inside) and front one is black(two pins inside) Do you tap into one of the outlet wires,; and if so which one? Also on the speedo; it is useable apparently with the stock Fiero electronic sender on the transaxle (two wires) one is supposed to ground, and the other to the speedo. Which wire? Thanks again in advance for any help! Steve

Cant find info on your specific tach. Closest thing that I can give you is this http://egauges.com/AM_Instr.asp#Tachometers one of them hopefully should work

To answer the tach question... The power and tach are attached to the black connector. Ignition wire should be 12 ga wire usually red and the tach wire will be the smaller wire next to it. This is for GM HEI. The other connector is for your pick-up coil in the bottom of your distibutor. Hope this helps..