Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using the real Ferrari 355 Rims

Using the real Ferrari 355 Rims

I am plaining on using Held Motorsports 12" brake kit on my 355 with the wide track front and rear kits. Has anyone had sucess with this set up and what about the rims / tires hitting the rear struts?

Re:Using the real Ferrari 355 Rims

I have a set of 355 rims on my car. Here is the rub. I used the slalom front end and had the rotors and hubs re-drilled for 5 on 108mm with longer studs from an S-10 4X4 front. They have a 610-323 stamped on the back of them. I used a +3 inch Held Anti-Bump Steer assembly in the rear with Olds Sierra uprights (more meat for bigger bearings) and S-10 4X4 Front hubs and bearings. The rear 355 rim is so deep with the offset it hits the rear Held shock. I had to use a 2.5 inch wheel adapter to go from 5 on 120mm (Chevy) to 5 on 108mm Ferrari. It worked fine. But regardless of the length of rear swing are, it will still hit the shock without the spacer/Adapter. The distance from the bolt circle on the Ferrari Rim to the edge of the rim is 8.5 inches, add 1/2 inch for clearance, now you need 9 inches. The face of the rotor flange to the shock is 6.5 inches. That is why you need the 2.5 Adapter/Spacer on top of the trick suspension to the wheel.

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Any interest in some 355 OEM rims, no tires?

I used the stock 355 rims without issue. Due to the difference in the offset betweent he stock Fiero and the 355 rims, I added a spacer adapter to bring the bearing stress back to spec (and save my life due to trashed bearings!).

This, and the addition to trackwidth due to the custom hubs and drop spindles and the 1/2 inch adapter plate for the 13 inch brakes, the wheels went on with ZERO additional spacing, no rubbing and no issues.

That's the long way of saying they are fine

Incidentally, DKOV Motorsports is now distributing its OWN branded wide track conversion suspension kits, drop spindles using 88 rear bearings on the front and high performance brake kits up to 13 inches. Full tubular framing with full poly, etc.

DKOV -

Scott:

Who makes the suspension stuff for you? I might be interested in a set of 13 inch front brakes. I have 12 inch Wilwood on it now but the other will fill the wheel a little better. It stops better than most cars now. I will put it on my wish list.

Dave

That's a big secret

I've worked out two different sources. One you all know for private lable components and another that is fabbing a new design and mass producing for me.

You should see some price breaks from what I have sold in the past. Some good some REALLY good. Especially on the big brake kits. BIG discounts there.

As I say... stay tuned.

Oh, and I forgot the best part... DKOV Motorsports is also in the final stages of have a new direct bolt in 5 and 6 speed manual tranny for the Fiero. NOT a Muncie/Getrag 282 or 284 or Isuzu... Totally custom built and race ready to 450+ HP tolerances. Higher for special order. This will be a DIRECT BOLT IN solution to replace any of the w-body & J-body cars or Fieros. Anything that takes the same bolt pattern... 2.5, 2.8, 3.1, 3.4, 3.4L DOHC, 3.8, 3.8S/C, etc...

Even more reason to sty tuned

DKOV -

I looked into the Pontiac Vibe 6 speed as part of my car. The cost is quite high right now for the extra gear. Then there are the shifter integration problems. It would be very slick through.

Dave

Dave,
    How much for the rims and also I might be intersted in your 12" brake set up.

Glenn:

I have 3 Ferrari 355 rims. These are the real deal, not knock offs or replica rims.

Here are the details: One rear 355 rim, 18 X 10, $650, Two front 355 rims, 18 X 7.5, one rim is new and never mounted to a car or had a tire mounted, the other rim is used and in very good condition. $600 each for the fronts. You may be able to pick up a new rear 355 rim from the Dealer for $1,800 or keep your eyes open for an opportunity on eBay as I did for the rear wheel. They pop up occasionally.

Hope this works for you,

Dave

Glenn:

I will be keeping the 12 inch Wilwood brakes as spares for the rear. I do plan on using 13's on the front.

Dave