Thread: Windshield sprayers (Does anyone use them)

Windshield sprayers (Does anyone use them)

I just found that both of my spray nozzles for the windshield sprayers are broken. I am debating if I want to spend the time to fix them or just remove the whole system. For a hobby car that is not driven much and the windshield is kept very clean, I feel that I could do with out them. Does anyone here with a custom build put spray nozzles on their cars?

Re: Windshield sprayers (Does anyone use them)

i have put them on every kind of car i have ever built, you dont need them much but when you do, you do.

Being that my oem fiero washer pump was broken, I made a trip to the wrecking yard to pick up new style pump, connector. While I was there, I got some sprayers from mid ninetys gm full size cars. They are clipped on to the wiper arm itself, then you run a small dia rubber hose down the arm, between the two springs where it then exits our a small hole you drill in the arm. Get the whole assembly, be prepared to remove the whole cowl cover to get the plastic line out. These sprayers are far superior than the OEM fiero ones, puts the washer fluid right in the center of the wiper. Little more work, but work ideal.

I keep a bottle of Windex and some shop towels behind my seat in case I need to clean the windows. I dont like the idea of water spraying all over my car when driving, leaving streaks on the windshield from what didn't get removed, and having to deal with the water spots all over the glass and the rest of the car. Not very impressive looking.
    Without talent experience is worthless

Thank you for all of the replies. Each one helped me. My water tank is broken where the screw holes are, but it is water tight and the motor still works. I will most likely keep it for now and try the new nozzle approach later. I am working on installing a fire extinguisher which starting this train of thought in the first place. I would prefer to have the fire extinguisher inside the car, but I do not want to see it. I am going to mount it in the front trunk. This way if (when) I have an flame issue, I can pop the hood and jump out and get it.

Braatic, nice choice in mounting the fire extinguisher in the car. Just about burned up a car after the oil feed line came off the hot turbo and sprayed oil over the engine compartment, igniting with the red hot turbo/ex manifold. at the same time as doing the sprayers, I got in there and modified the mount for the cable release for the hood latch. I used one from a aveo, or metro or like to relocate the trunk release mechanism down the frame rail under the carpet to mount on the floor between the seat and the door weatherstrip. Due to the cable length being about 2 feet more, puts it convienently right next to the driver. Had to do something like this because I couldn't mount the fiero release to my SI dash.

i have seen that many oem lambo and feiro owners place the fire extenguisher in the front and run a hose to the engine bay where it sprays from both sides, that way if there is a fire you can stay away from it and you dont get burned trying to open the hood, and it is the fastest way

I have a single wiper arm on the F40, but two nozzles on the plastic trim at the base of the windshield- works extremely well. Also have a fire extinguisher mounted neatly on top of the backboard inside at the top of the computer cover. I think it looks professional, and does not detract from the interior appeal of the car. Steve