Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lites

lites

im trying to set my car up for rallyeing , i have a 12 volt system and was wondering if i use 2 high beams with 2 flame throwers on the roof and two high beams and 2 fogs down low in the front what do i have to do electrically to my charging system and battery?

roger :

Re: lites

Shouldnt have to do much, I would imagine your factory alternator would be able to keep up with the draw. If u need to upgrade i would run a higher amperage alternator and a yellow cap Optima battery. Possibly higher guage wires to and from battery and alt.

make sure you run your relays and fuses

run/replace primary grounds and alt/positive battery with 00 gauge.if u need more then go yellow or blue top optima.if you need more after that do alt upgrade.

make sure you use fuses in the lines, that way if something goes it will be the fuse, and will tell you right away that you need to upgrade one piece at a time, start with the cheapest and work up untill the fueses are ok. I dont think its enough draw to make any difference.

Who is/ who are the expert on LED head lites etc looks like they are the next hurdle for kits.

there are no LED headlight yet, at least not that are OEM. If you are going LED for main beams you are on your own with custom setup

Ok any suggestions where to start??

LED are great as indicators, they are very low current and can operate on watch type button battery for days. Problem with them is that their lumen output is not very high making them not very well suited for main beam source of light. In the last couple of years number of companies started to come out with hight output "cree" star type LED in 10W range, but to drive those LED you do require regulated current source and not to mension those LEDs are getting very hot when operating and require headsink to disipate head away from them or they will melt and burn out. Secondly just like any other light they do require focuring lens as they normally have 120' viewing angle.
    let your search engine be your friend and do a search for "star cree white LED"

Ok I did some digging around and found truck lites bur not much detail on them.Think they run about 300F