Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bat-wings 101

Bat-wings 101

Here is a basic "How to" on making your bat wings work. The car shown is Bocelli's G28L, but this will also work on the standard G28.
    The first thing to do is cut the bat wings off of the rear louvered hatch. This can be done whether the hatch has been installed already or not. If it has been installed, skip the next step.
    Step 2 is to mount the hatch. Since this is not a "How to install your hatch" thread, I wont go into it. The important thing is to make shure everything lines up.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Without talent experience is worthless

Re: Bat-wings 101

itll take him a while to do a proper write up.

The next step is to install the divider walls. I made these from 3/16" aluminum plate. What you need to do is mock up the wall out of cardboard with the hatch closed. Cardboard is easy because you can cut it easily, trim it where you need to, and it stays rigid enough to stay in place while your working with it.
    The wall needs to mount 1" inboard from the edge of the hatch (the edge where the wing was originally attached). Cut your wall in the shape of the cardboard template you made, and on the back edge of the wall, allow another 1 1/2" in length to make a tab at that end. Cut a slot into the fiberglass where the tab will slide into, and will later be glassed in place. The front edge of the wall mounts with an angle bracket that can be made with some of the scrap aluminum. Allow a clearance of 3/4" between the top edge of the wall and the underside of the hatch. This is to allow for the weatherstripping that will be added later.
    The whole purpose of this wall is to give you a rigid surface to mount the wing hinge bar to, and provide an edge for the weatherstrip to slip onto. I used trunk seal I got off a car at the junkyard. I dont remember exactly what it was from, but I remember it was a Toyota. Its a very simple seal, and looks great installed. Trunk seals are usaully in great shape, even on the older cars. I'll post a pic of the type I used so you can match it. Anything close will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmeansgo
    itll take him a while to do a proper write up.
    stop encouraging him he needs to make like 48 parts for me. Dammit.

The next step is glassing the sides to the actual wing. I made a mould that attaches to the wing. I then glass into the mould and onto the underside of the wing, making the side permanently attached to the wing, and making the two pieces (side and wing) into one. When it cures, I pop the mould off, and after a little trimming, its done.

P.S. More like 60 Geg!

I'm waiting with baited breath to see Murci-Me's rendition of "Doors 101" :-\

Moving right along, its time to make the frames for the wings to mount to (glassed to). I used 1/2" square steel tube, and cut it to fit the general shape of the wing. Once all the parts are cut, I lay them on the backside of the wing and tack them together. That way, they follow the curvature of the wing, and are easier to glass on. Once the frames are finish welded, set them aside for now. The little tabs on the long run of the frame are 1" long, and have a 1/4" hole drilled in them. This is for the hinge pins (pivot pins) to slip into.

Now we make the hinge bar. I used 1"X1" square tubing. I made little plates on each end that match up to the little ears on the frames. They too have a 1/4" holes drilled into them.

Someone make him stop make him stoppp. Ohhhhhh the humanity. 60 parts. Must get to work.

Now, we attach the hinge bar to the frame, and mount the assembly to the aluminum divider wall. You want to measure the thickness of the bat wing, and mount the whole assembly on the wall allowing for the thickness of the wing. When all looks good, attach it with bolts. Its better to mount it a little low rather than high. You can always fill any air space between the frame and the wing with resin and cabosil, but if you mount the assembly to high, you have to grind down the back surface or the wing to make it thinner, therefore making it weaker.