Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AD 355 front fenders

AD 355 front fenders

Has anyone else felt that the front fenders on an AD355 tilt forward too much? I am trying to figure out if its a problem with my glass or the chassis. When you look at the line between the back of the front tires and the door, it seems to slant upwards. In order to match this like up straight, the door is about 2 inches above the steel structure at the back of the door. Is this typical?

If you look at this illustration, the body line is where the red line is, but I feel that it should be closer to where the blue line is. Do I just need to shim the heck out of the front fenders?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: AD 355 front fenders

Toby, I see what you're concern is, but then the distance from the top of the door and the body line will be larger. I think this is simply an issue of where the mirror on the door, and the rear quarter has to mount because of the donor. It isn't straight and even. Look at the original car, it looks like it is wider on the portion where the door lock is than the front. top of the door below the side mirror. I don't have an AD, but I had to take and cut up my parts and reposition them to where they look like they belong, and the body line is fluid from the front to the rear. For me, this took a year of messing with fiberglass and filler to get right.
    No help here with the AD, I am surprised that some folks that have AD's haven't chimed in here. But then again.... thats why you buy an AD, so you don't have to worry about such things. Don't shim the front, it is gonna mess with your wheel well opening in a negative way. Making you have to lower your car even more to achieve the proper look and close the gap between the wheel and the front fenders. I think they look good with the body lines that you got. Anyone else have something for him? Looking good to me, the rough-in is progressing fine.

Thanks man. I just wanted to make sure this is what other poeple ran into as well. If there is an issue, I just wanted to know about it early not as I assemble it after paint. That would suck.

Dave (funnywheels) mentioned the same thing in his build thread and how he went about correcting it, but he might have been talking about when he had Mirage body parts trying to mate them to the AD parts he bought from JW. Worth a look I'd say. I'll see if I can post a link. ??? :

I was fighting the sort of the same issue until I found out that my back end was still to high. I was able to lower the coil overs some more and it looks better now. The AD uses stock front and rear bumpers. The rear bumper is stock on the stretched version. I used the non stretched version and my rear bumper is almost 3" longer on the sides. This line was not one of my issues. I fought more on the door to fender gap more than anything.

One more thing, I raised my front bumper a little. I assume that you have the front bumper mounted on the supplied bar. I raised it up 1/4" to make the front bumper to hood fit the triangle piece. You must get the front bumper, triangle bar and hood aligned before you bond the two piece hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Brastic
    One more thing, I raised my front bumper a little. I assume that you have the front bumper mounted on the supplied bar. I raised it up 1/4" to make the front bumper to hood fit the triangle piece. You must get the front bumper, triangle bar and hood aligned before you bond the two piece hood.
    My chassis had the front bumper mounts cut off due to a previous kit install, so I am going to have to weld some stuff up to make it work up front. That is why I am trying to get this alignment figured out so that I know I am welding pieces in the right place. My thought was that I will get the body pieces sitting the way I want them, and then weld the steel to fit them. The body fits together pretty well... maybe its ok... I am just paranoid.

Ok, I found this picture of Dave's build, and it looks like he had about 2 inches between the top of the metal on the door and the top of his fiberglass too. I am not worried anymore. This must be the way it needs to fit. Thanks guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

You will need to weld or rivet a piece of tapered sheet metal to the top of the stripped Fiero door frame for the fiberglass door skin to hang on. Once you figure out where the door needs to be positioned you can cut/adjust the sheet metal position before securing it. Then you can screw the door skin to the sheet metal, so you can let the sheet metal hold the door while you attach it.
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariFan
    You will need to weld or rivet a piece of tapered sheet metal to the top of the stripped Fiero door frame for the fiberglass door skin to hang on. Once you figure out where the door needs to be positioned you can cut/adjust the sheet metal position before securing it. Then you can screw the door skin to the sheet metal, so you can let the sheet metal hold the door while you attach it.
    Cool. Thanks.