Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chassisworks

chassisworks

I heard that you are the go to guy on suspension.I have a feiro front suspension on my 512 tr,and I have a complete 84 corvette minus engine and trans.and I want to pick your brain as to how to install the vett suspension and most likley the stearing and anything else I could youse.(you have to exquse the spelling) any help from you or anybody else on this fourm would be appriated. I dont want to buy the plans,but if its the best way,I will

Re: chassisworks

i think you might be going about this the wrong way, chassis works doesnt use 84 vette and it only uses corvette parts on the front spindles and 4 hubs / brakes.
    i think what you are looking for is the cierra uprights with s10 4x4 hubs and corvette brakes that i see often on fieros. lmk if you need more info on this

Actually his first run of chassis used the complete C4 suspension, Front and Rear, I have one.
    I remember mike and i talked just before he came out with the new rear set up that he only did it that way because everone that was interested in his chassis wanted the look of the 2 shocks in the rear.

I have heard that you can't get the 13" wide rim in the rear with the C4 rear set up. That's bogus because i actually have a 14" wide rim with a 345mm tire on it on my car. I have a C4 chassis Works chassis and an ASCC 6.0 body and the fit is perfect...Go figure ;D

Hi Bob
    Well, here's what I did. I took the vette fronts and essentially moved the mounting points out to the correct length for the lambo. Then used the rack from the MPV, that was the correct width for the suspension stuff, after it was moved. My original chassis used the c4 rear with the dogbone setup. I later found out that the 88-96 was the better year for the vette as the arms/spindle/brake pkg was much better on the front, so the plans and all the mounts were changed to use 88-96 stuff on the front.
    I originally tried to use as much of the vette as possible, but the rear proved to be way too limited, and didn't really allow the builder much flexibility.
    Soooooo. We took some existing hubs and rear arms and modified them to fit our chassis. they still use the vette brakes and bearings in the rear, but that's it.
    So in a nutshell, I'm afraid my plans won't do you any good. All the vette parts used are 88-96..
    www.Chassisworksinc.com<br />www.Chassissupply.com

thats what i was saying, bondo bob search or google cierra uprights with s10 hubs, its VERY common on a fiero, unfortunatley i always got the write up from Dave who is not here

i found a good write up here
    http://members.aceweb.com/newmdav/schedule.htm

Yes,I know Dave Numan verry well.The 355 on his site is the car I drive every weekend.He gave me that body in trade that I line up the body pannels,do the body work,and paint his spyder(funny wheels 2) What I wanted to know is if someone here has done a vette to ferio suspension swap. If no one has,than I will try it anyway. I baught this corvette for $1,000 and already sold $1,500 worth of parts.I still have the entire frame,suspensun,steering,radatior,condensor,fans blowers lots of stuff. The 512 tr is basikly a body shell on a hand built frame.The front portion is feiro.The rest is all custom. They did do a nice job tho. I would like to use as much of the corvette as I can,because its free.And thats what kit car building is all about. And also work has been sooooo slow,Im barley makeing my bills.Any help would be appreated.

Bob,
    I am using c5 parts on my 355 which are different then the c4 stuff but since you have access to the vette still you should be able to convert it over. The very first thing you need to do is to get the actual rims and tires and mount them onto the vette. Then measure from the outside of the tire to the frame rail om the vette. Then you can set the tire into the ferrari body where you want it and see where the frame rail will fall into place. This will give you a chance to make sure everything fits like the engine etc before you start cutting. If everything fits then you need to make or buy some control arm brackets. These Are the brakcetz that get welded to the frame. Most likely you will have tomove he rails you already have on the car. The next thing I would do is basically copy how and where GM installed everything. At least this is what I am doing. Good luck and let me know if you need more help.

thanks,I do have the oem vette wheels and tires.but I also have oem Ferrari wheeles that I want to install.

Don't go by the vette rims and tires unless you are positive that they have he same backspace etc. You will also need 3/4" thick adapters to install the oem Ferrari rims to the vette hubs. Use you Ferrari rims and tires to take all measurments or you will end up doing it twice.... Trust me I know all about that!