Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended windshield wiper motor advice!

Extended windshield wiper motor advice!

What have you guys used for a wiper system for a extended windsheld on a Fiero? I have heard in the past that some reverse the motor so the moving arm faces the other direction. Is this the best method? Doesn't appear that that will work unless you cut a sizeable piece out of the body. Can anyone offer some advice on this? I NEED HELP!

Re: Extended windshield wiper motor advice!

I am going to use a cable driven setup like this: http://www.itsasnapwireandcable.com/wiper_kits.htm

That way, I can mount the motor anywhere that I want to and just run the cables up to the arms.

With your extended windshield, you can also use the Neon wiper system as it is all integral within one case with the motor attached. Pretty slick unit really as you don't have the wiper arms moving back and forth the way you have with the Fiero.

I beleive Dale Paynter used the Neon on his setup and shows a couple pics in his build thread. I plan to try the Neon out before turning the wiper motor around like Dave Newmann did.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

hey mac, will the diablo style arm work? if so rundlc can help you!

Thanks Don,
    I didn't know a Neon had a self contained unit. Looks like just what the Dr. ordered. I hope the motor won't stick up to far and get in the way of the hood. Looks like it worked on Dale's car well. I'm off tomorrow so I will head out to the bone yard and find me one. Do you know if the arms are Neon as well. Thanks a bunch Don. If all fails I could always go with the universal type with a cable. I messed around with the Fiero Motor all day. What a waste of time. No matter where I mounted it something was in the way. Not to mention getting the linkage to work properly. :-\

Sean;

Pretty sure the arms are Neon as well. In fact, you pretty much need the Neon arms as they are screwed to the pivot through the middle of the mount. I got some Neon blades and I was wondering how the heck I was going to put them on the Fiero pivot as the Fiero doesn't have the threaded hole.

I think Dale had to shorten the passenger side a bit but can't remember for sure. I know when Dave did his, he had to shorten the passenger side Neon arm.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Sean;

Pretty sure the arms are Neon as well. In fact, you pretty much need the Neon arms as they are screwed to the pivot through the middle of the mount. I got some Neon blades and I was wondering how the heck I was going to put them on the Fiero pivot as the Fiero doesn't have the threaded hole.

I think Dale had to shorten the passenger side a bit but can't remember for sure. I know when Dave did his, he had to shorten the passenger side Neon arm.

Cheers
    Don
    Thanks Don - I'm heading to the junk yard now. Looks like their are 2 styles 95-99 and 00-05 Hopefully both will be available and I can compair them. You wouldn't by chance happen to have the wiring code would you?
    Thanks,
    Sean

OK good luck; I think the uses I have seen are with the earlier models but I don't know what the later model has and it might be a lot better.

Unfortunatelay I do not. I think Dale would though. I'll email him and ask as I haven't seen him on the forum lately.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

You guys talking about me? ;D I just sent Don the wiring info but I will post it here as well:

This is a first generation Neon wiper assembly and I used the Neon wiring connector that is located close to the motor. Eliminated the Fiero connector Therefore when I give a color on the Neon side, it is for the wiring to the "outside" of the Neon connector, not the wires between the motor and connector.
    Pontiac violet to Neon red /white tracer
    Pontiac grey to Neon violet [or brown] /white tracer
    Pontiac orange to Neon green / white tracer
    Pontiac white to Neon blue

Been a while but I am quite sure it worked off the Fiero switch, delay and all. I can't test it right now as Kitcar is partially disassembled - no power.
    As far as the arms.............. :-[ Poor note taker here! I believe I used Neon arms but had to shorten one and possibly lengthen the other. Also I played around with different wiper blade lengths. I also recall the drivers arm came in contact with the TR hood underside at full stroke. I had to cut down and weld the thin metal cover on the arm. I had my new windshield temporally installed at the time but had it covered with a layer of 6 mil plastic. I could experiment with strokes and geometry with no fear of hurting the glass.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Quote Originally Posted by Daleford
    You guys talking about me? ;D I just sent Don the wiring info but I will post it here as well:

This is a first generation Neon wiper assembly and I used the Neon wiring connector that is located close to the motor. Eliminated the Fiero connector Therefore when I give a color on the Neon side, it is for the wiring to the "outside" of the Neon connector, not the wires between the motor and connector.
    Pontiac violet to Neon red /white tracer
    Pontiac grey to Neon violet [or brown] /white tracer
    Pontiac orange to Neon green / white tracer
    Pontiac white to Neon blue

Been a while but I am quite sure it worked off the Fiero switch, delay and all. I can't test it right now as Kitcar is partially disassembled - no power.
    As far as the arms.............. :-[ Poor note taker here! I believe I used Neon arms but had to shorten one and possibly lengthen the other. Also I played around with different wiper blade lengths. I also recall the drivers arm came in contact with the TR hood underside at full stroke. I had to cut down and weld the thin metal cover on the arm. I had my new windshield temporally installed at the time but had it covered with a layer of 6 mil plastic. I could experiment with strokes and geometry with no fear of hurting the glass.
    Thanks for the wiring info. That will help a lot.
    I went to the junk yard today and found a 2nd generation Neon wiper assembly. I don't think their is much difference. They look the same except for the wiring connector. I only spent 5 min. when I got home to see how it will fit. So far it appears that the AC dryer is very close if not hitting the top connector and the bracket for the motor is laying on the brake booster. There will also be no access to the clutch filler. It appears rather high and I don't know at this point if it will work for my build or not. My fenders and hood seam to sit a little lower than yours and my windsheld extends about 10" past it's stock location.

When I was at the junk yard I noted that their are other Chrysler products that also use a self contained units as well as Saturn. If it doesn't work out I'll try a few others.

Would you happen to have a few more photos of your wiper setup so I can see how you mounted it?

Thanks so much,

Sean