Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: mr2 vs fiero..which is the better donor??

mr2 vs fiero..which is the better donor??

im planning a build and this is a subject im kinda stuck on..which would be a better donor?? i cant really find any good threads or info on this so all is appreciated..

Re: mr2 vs fiero..which is the better donor??

If your building a Murcielago LP640 replica... Believe me... much better to go with the Fiero.

I can only speak from experience and all the builds I've seen.

The MR-2 looks like a nightmare.. not to mention trying to get parts that are an easy fit.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck.

MURCenary 8)

Quote Originally Posted by MURCenary
    If your building a Murcielago LP640 replica... Believe me... much better to go with the Fiero.

I can only speak from experience and all the builds I've seen.

The MR-2 looks like a nightmare.. not to mention trying to get parts that are an easy fit.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck.

MURCenary 8)
    thanks for the input..

To do a build right, you really need to go with a wide track suspension. I dont know of any for the MR2, but there are alot of choices for the Fiero. Look around and see if you can find something for the MR2, but I think most people have to go with a custom made set-up, which could be expensive. There are some members on this forum building on the MR2. Ask them what they are doing about it, and decide from there.
    Without talent experience is worthless

Quote Originally Posted by MURCI-ME
    To do a build right, you really need to go with a wide track suspension. I dont know of any for the MR2, but there are alot of choices for the Fiero. Look around and see if you can find something for the MR2, but I think most people have to go with a custom made set-up, which could be expensive. There are some members on this forum building on the MR2. Ask them what they are doing about it, and decide from there.
    thanks..the guys on here that ive talked to that are using the mr2 say its a pain in the butt..

... not to mention the interior looks like a huge pain as well.

Again good luck.

Keep us updated on your build.

MURCenary 8)

See these pics that Murci-Me posted earlier this year of an LP640 Build on a MR-2...WOW

I'm referring to the YELLOW one... YOWZAAAAA

http://www.madmechanics.com/build-diaries/murcie-me-build-(changes)/495/

MURCenary 8)

For a Murcielago definitely the Fiero. I would take it even a step further and just skip the Fiero and go with a custom chassis. I started with an Mr2 then went Fiero now I am having a replica chassis built. When all is said and done the price will be similar and you are getting something a lot nicer then a Fiero. Figure spending $1,500 for a good condition Fiero, another 3,000 for the stretch. Add about 6,000 for Held suspension and a brake system. You are now at $10,500 and the price difference is negligible to just have a custom chassis built. Not to mention that Held cant provide suspensions the exact track length as his equipment cant bring out the track long enough.

WOW! That brings back some painful memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Faker
    For a Murcielago definitely the Fiero. I would take it even a step further and just skip the Fiero and go with a custom chassis. I started with an Mr2 then went Fiero now I am having a replica chassis built. When all is said and done the price will be similar and you are getting something a lot nicer then a Fiero. Figure spending $1,500 for a good condition Fiero, another 3,000 for the stretch. Add about 6,000 for Held suspension and a brake system. You are now at $10,500 and the price difference is negligible to just have a custom chassis built. Not to mention that Held cant provide suspensions the exact track length as his equipment cant bring out the track long enough.
    The only problems with the custom chassis is the registration, all the add'l structure that needs to be added for body support, all the wiring that needs to be done, all the guages that need to be bought, all the plumbing that needs to be added (radiator, brakes, HVAC), buying the suspension, shocks, brake calipers, rotors, radiators, A/C condenser, fuel tank and plumbing for it, etc, etc. All these things come with the donor, wether its a Fiero or MR2. All the add'l labor costs to install all these things in a custom chassis adds up fast also. Streches usually cost between $1500 and $1800, ask Joe at INLAND EXOTICS to see what he charges. There is no way a custom chassis can cost the same as a donor build. There is just to much that has to be done on the chassis that is already done on the donor. All that stuff wont install itself, so there is a tremendous labor cost associated with a custom chassis.
    A good donor should cost about $3500 (ask MURCenary), the strech (max $2K), and the Held suspension about $5500. Thats $11K. Theres no way you could do a tube chassis with everything thats included and already done in a donor build for that price. Just my .02

P.S. I can supply you with the correct length upper and lower front control arms for a Fiero build