Thread: Exhaust heat kills torsion bars???

Exhaust heat kills torsion bars???

Anyone ever kill a torsion bar with their exhaust??? I have a mid engine converted beetle chassis.

Re: Exhaust heat kills torsion bars???

Ok....... Did I forget to put on deodorant or something? ???

lol, i havent so i didnt post. havent killed killed torsion bars not deoderant

I doubt many of us has ever seen it. I guess it would be possible on a race car. I have not ever seen it happen. I would think you would have to get that torsion bar hot enough to do some molecular changes like when you heat treat or anneal. That would put you at a minimum of 700degF. While your exhaust will get that hot under hard driving, just an inch or so from the exhaust the temperature drops quickly as heat does not transfer well in open air. I would think for there to be enough heat to damage the torsion bar, it would have to be in direct contact or close with almost no air movement.

It would take a lot of heat. The real question is did you run your exhaust by the tube or is the engine just close? If the engine is hot enough to affect the torsion bar, you have much greater problems. If you want a little piece of mind and have the room, then install some underhood reflective insulation. It would not hurt anything to install the reflective insulation. Can you please post some pictures for us? It would help us help you, plus I would like to see what you did.

That'll never happen.
    www.Chassisworksinc.com<br />www.Chassissupply.com

Here is a link.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avenge...tart=1&dir=asc
    Note the opening where the pass side frame horn was removed. For a short time, I was spitting flames directly into this opening. I had to leave the o2 sensor off because it hit the torsion tube, and I stupidly attempted to plug the hole with exhaust putty. When the putty came out, it was spitting flames directly onto the tube. The o2 has been relocated, and the hole welded closed, but the pass side bar is clearly much weaker than the driver side. :-[

Well, if you had open flames, sure I could see some "heat treatment" going on in that case. On a rear engine rotary kit car I had I had to do a lot of planning and heat sheilding as the 13B rotary can have ehaust temp.s reaching 2100 degrees F. or so after a hard run. I used an infrared laser pyrometer to help me lay out my shielding and such. Nothing ever went past 250 F. past my shields.