Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 stupid questions SBC 350

2 stupid questions SBC 350

Hello everyone...
    I have two really stupid questions that I am almost embarrased to ask... Escp since I helped put this car together 10 years ago!!!

I just recieved my water pump (electric Remote)... It has a inlet and two outlets.... Its the CRM water pump. so here is the stupid question... The inlet would go towards the engine and the outlet towards the radiator.... is this correct or am I confusing the flow of coolant?

Second question--- where can I get foglights and turnsignal lights for a 328 rebody? Like I said its been 10 years!!

Thanks!!

Re: 2 stupid questions SBC 350

ASK ikr

On a SBC there are 2 water passages in the block, one on each side of the timing chain cover on the front of the engine. These are the water inlets to the block; the water comes to this point from your water pump, weather it is bolted to the block directly or a remote one. The water flows from here through the block and exits at the top of the engine, usually in the intake manifold, where the thermostat housing is. From this exit, when the thermostat is open, the water will flow to the radiator, connecting at the top of the rad. From the bottom of the rad, the water flows to the engine, and connects to the inlet of the water pump. If you have a heater, there is also a connection at this same point on the pump (the inlet side of the pump) for the heater water to flow into. All that water then flows through the pump and back to the engine to start the circuit all over again. The outlet to the heater core is usually on the intake manifold somewhere, or can be on the pump itself if it is a mechanical one bolted to the block.

Rick

Thanks...
    I have a unusual set up as when we did the car we were on the first to use ARchie's kit. We have the remote water-pump on the radiator, that is what was confusing me. So using this set up again, I will have the outlet aligned with the bottom of the radiator and the heater. Then the inlet will be hooked the coolant pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by f328v8
    I have a unusual set up as when we did the car we were on the first to use ARchie's kit. We have the remote water-pump on the radiator, that is what was confusing me. So using this set up again, I will have the outlet aligned with the bottom of the radiator and the heater. Then the inlet will be hooked the coolant pipe?
    It's confusing the way you are wording this. I assume your remote water pump "on the radiator" is on the lower hose? Water flows into a radiator from the top, and out the radiator from the bottom. The bottom of the radiator, and the heater pipe, flow into the front of the engine, usually through a pump. Read my previous post and draw a sketch of the engine, pump, and radiator, with the flows in the right direction. That should clear up where you need the inlet and outlets of the pump to be. It sounds to me, from your 2 last sentences, that you have it the wrong way around. If by "outlet" you mean the pump outlet, "aligned with the bottom of the radiator" then you will be trying to flow from the pump into the bottom of the rad; that is backwards.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DINERO
    On a SBC there are 2 water passages in the block, one on each side of the timing chain cover on the front of the engine. These are the water inlets to the block; the water comes to this point from your water pump, weather it is bolted to the block directly or a remote one. The water flows from here through the block and exits at the top of the engine, usually in the intake manifold, where the thermostat housing is. From this exit, when the thermostat is open, the water will flow to the radiator, connecting at the top of the rad. From the bottom of the rad, the water flows to the engine, and connects to the inlet of the water pump. If you have a heater, there is also a connection at this same point on the pump (the inlet side of the pump) for the heater water to flow into. All that water then flows through the pump and back to the engine to start the circuit all over again. The outlet to the heater core is usually on the intake manifold somewhere, or can be on the pump itself if it is a mechanical one bolted to the block.

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmeansgo
    I know nothing about 328s but with the water pump the coolant enters at the thermostat and exits at the pump so you are correct, the motor is inlet and radiator outlet
    NOT CORRECT !!!!!!!

DINERO this is correct ,when the temp reach the preset of the thermostat it then opens to let the cooling fluid an H20 cool off in the radiator an it is reused thru the system
    I have only use this remote pump one time on a Testarossa kit with a 350 the engine was very close to the passenger side of fiero chassis rails, no room for a conventional water pump
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

IKR is a genious

alright... so I'll raise the stupider question, just to clarify this...

The drivers side carries the coolant from the engine to the radiator and the radiator then brings the coolant to the engine under the passenger side. So I would want the pump to pump out of the radiator (so inlet would be hooked up to radiator) and outlet to the coolant pipes???

The water pump in there now is a radiator mount pump (23gpm) its old school, and works however its old and I want to put the 4-core rad in so I need to install a new pump since the JB weld is on the pump and radiator!!! We JB welded the pump directly to the radiator. I am not going to use JB weld this time around as the new pump is heavy, and if I ever need to switch the radiator or pump, I don't have to replace both.

But I would like to keep the same set up, pump up front by the radiator.

Am I making any sense??? And thanks everyone for their input and help... It is clearing a lot of things up!!

Quote Originally Posted by f328v8
    alright... so I'll raise the stupider question, just to clarify this...

The drivers side carries the coolant from the engine to the radiator and the radiator then brings the coolant to the engine under the passenger side. So I would want the pump to pump out of the radiator (so inlet would be hooked up to radiator) and outlet to the coolant pipes???
    Not stupid at all, these things can be confusing as some engines (imports) can be different. I happen to know in detail how it is for a SBC since I am just finishing up my install of one in a Fiero (with an engine-mounted electric water pump).

Your statement above is correct! The only difference with your setup is that the pump is at the front of the car and normally it is closer to the engine (or mounted on it).

I should add, that I am open to other suggestions since I could just mount the new radiator in and then move the pump else where?

Thanks!